Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running World of Warcraft well

• Please log in to reply

Mikedssn

Mikedssn

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm running World of Warcraft on a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.00 GB of RAM, an ASUS P4PE Motherboard, and a Radeon 9500 128 MB graphics card. The problem I generally experience is that when I'm in a rather active situation where I have around 40 players on my screen my FPS drops to about 5 and occasionally my computer will just completely freeze for a moment and then pick back up. I was wondering if there was anything short of getting a new computer I could do to improve my performance in this type of situation.

Edited by Mikedssn, 01 August 2005 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lower the settings.

Mikedssn

Mikedssn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
They're all as low as they can go.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats your internet connection like.

Mikedssn

Mikedssn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cable Modem, my ping stays between 30 and 120

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm alot of the time when plaing online a lag like that is caused by the server and the users internet connection not being fast enough. Never played WoW but have you tried a server closer to where you live and/or quieter.

Mikedssn

Mikedssn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I'm on a "Medium" population server on the east coast (I live in Maryland). What led me to believe it's my computer and not anything else is that my friend has recently started playing at my house (on the same server and internat connection as me). He has no lag problems at all really. His CPU is an AMD 1.8 GHz I think. He has a 256 MB graphics card. Not really sure about the rest of his speccs.