Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows File Protection"

• Please log in to reply

ifeelcrazybaby

ifeelcrazybaby

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am working under CleanUp! in preparation for my HjackThis log, but during the CleanUp step a "Windows file protection" Message poped up. It reads "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the orginal versions of these files. Insert you Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD now."

Problem is, I don't know if I have any cd and where, I am sure it came with one when I got this computer, however that was a while ago, and I have no idea where it may be now. If I click "cancel" on this pop-up it comes back again... how am I supposed to continue this steps if I have a windows message on my screen the whole time?

Thank you all so much.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you borrow one from a friend? It would be illegal to reinstall Windows with someone else's cd, but your computer is prompting you for the cd so it can fix itself. If you have a clue where your cd is, try to find it. It's a handy little thing that costs too much to replace! LOL

Johanna

ifeelcrazybaby

ifeelcrazybaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was afraid that may have to happen. I understand it being illegal, hopefully I'll find my cd soon (i'm a college student... always on the move, so my stuff is everywhere) if not, I can definately borrow someone's to fix mine. However, I may have that prompt on my screen for a few days! ;)

Thank you SO much for the confirmation. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You're welcome. Let us know how you make out.

Johanna

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Do you still have your original Key Code (product code) handy??

If you do, then you can use your friends XP cd as it is the license (Product Code) that makes the install legal, not the cd..

Murray