Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not turn off

• Please log in to reply

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok here is what Ive discovered thus far I had an old tower laying around and pulled the Hard drive from the problem machine and plugged it into the old machine and it came up on the monitor...so its not a monitor issue....I believe it's the motherboard but Im unsure any thoughts

Also when I plug the system in I dont hear the Hard drive start up but when I plugged it into the old computer it started up right away...could it be the IDE(I think thats the name for it) cable is bad

Edited by gbrl77, 01 August 2005 - 08:53 PM.

Advertisements

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
So what I understand is the drive from the problem machine works in the old machine.......and the monitor comes up...

And the light on the problem machine comes on?
What about the the hard drive light? Does it blink?
Those lights are powered off the motherboard I would think.

You could always try the cable from the old machine in the problem drive if you think it is the cable.

But does not explain why you have power when you plug it in........

I still need to know if you are running a separate video card here......it makes a huge difference

G

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Im running a video card its a MSI GF4 128MB 4600...the power just stays on and the only thing that comes on at this point is the fans...I did try to replace the cable and it did not help.....The only other thing I can think of is the power supply is bad considering it never turns off I can hold the power button in until the cows came home and it would stilll be on....But the DVD, Floppy and hard drive do not start up at all.....

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
This will be my last post for tonight until I get home from work tommorrow.....
These are my specs for th Computer in question:
Dual AMD Athlon MP 2000
Tyan Tiger 2466N mother board
1024 DDR
WD 120 GB hard Drive
Sony DVD-R
MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB
Crative Audigy Platinum
Windows XP Pro
Thanks for everyones help and I hope we can figure this out .......

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Let me reread this post, but at this point I am thinking

Remove the video card and run your monitor off the motherboard

G

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I agree with garyo1954. That's the logical next step.

Johanna

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Still no luck.....I tried the video card in my old computer and it worked .....

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay....

Did you plug the monitor into the motherboard on the problem computer to see if it works there?

G

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok here is what I have tried since I got home:
first I took the Video card out and plug it into my old Desktop and got a response...So it seems the video card is good....I don't have a on-board video jack on the new PC .....
Then I took out the new Hard Drive and plug it into the old PC and got a response...But it would not boot up .....It was caught in some kind of loop...I'm not sure but is it possible that the old PC can not handle the new Hard Drive...The old Hard Drive was 20GB and the New is 120GB...Not sure of the speed or the Motherboard on the old PC.....
Then I took the old Hard Drive and plugged it into the new PC and still got no response .....
The thing I dont understand is when I plug the power wire back in the fans start up and i dont even touch the power button...but nothingelse does why are the fans starting up...could the power supply be bad....

Edited by gbrl77, 02 August 2005 - 04:30 PM.

gbrl77

gbrl77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas on this problem
Thanks

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If the fans are spinning, the mobo is getting power. Does your old comp run XP SP1 or better? The only way to rule out Windows as being the problem is a fresh install, but I'm wondering about your hard drive. Since an old hard drive worked in the new system... Did you look on the Western Digital site for their diagnostic suggestions?

Johanna

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Johanna I agree with you. I don't see the mobo as the problem. And with this post I agree on the hard drive possibility.

gbrl77, you are doing an excellent job! :tazz:

Since you have a good understanding of what you are doing, my next suggestion would be to boot the old computer with the 20 gigabyte drive adding the 120 gigabyte drive as a secondary.

Your master (or c:\) would be the 20GB drive.
Your slave would be the 120GB drive.

This way you could see if the 120GB drive can be read. Even if it can, that does not mean it is bootable. I would suggest running a scan to check for bad files and bad sectors on the 120GB drive.

I keep assuming when you say 'the fans come on' that all the fans begin working when you plug the computer in, the cpu cooler, the power supply fan, etc? Is this correct?

Correcting me on the motherboard was a good thing. It caused me to look at the specs. They are here:

http://www.tyan.com/...ermpx_spec.html

Notice the last item on the page:

• The Tiger MPX is designed to accept the widest variety of ATX power supplies ATX2.01 / 2.03 and ATX12V, The supply must have a minimum output of 300 watts.

So check to see if your power supply meets that requirement (a minimum output of 300 watts).

Okay, gbrl77 do your thing. Let us know what happens and we'll go from there.

G

KDrohan

KDrohan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just curious if there was ever a resolution to this problem. I am now experiencing the EXACT same issue. Powered off my pc and unplugged it to move it, and when I reconnected, it immediately powered on; could not power off with power button and had to unplug to cut it off; and it also sends my monitor into sleep mode therefore not able to see anything on the monitor.