Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C: drive folder opens up on startup.

• Please log in to reply

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey,

I've tried to search for answers to this all over the internet and by asking around but all to no avail. This was the only site with inofrmation on so i decided to register. I know there has been a topic on here about it but the solution seemed to be dependant on the individual system. It has being going on for some months now and at first i jsut ignored it and thought it would go away btu it is really sending me crazy now!

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Cheers,

Andy

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There are normally 3 places (other than services) where something is called during startup... your Startup folder, msconfig, and the registry.

Go to Start/Programs/Startup folder and see if there is a shortcut to your C: drive. If there is, delete it.

Go to Start/run... type in msconfig ... go to the last tab (Startup) and click on it. If there is a reference to C: , delete it. Restart your computer.

I won't get into the registry until after you've looked at the above places.

makai

Edited by makai, 01 August 2005 - 06:06 PM.

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
looked in startup but knew it wasnt already there.

been on msnconfig b4 but cudlnt see nethin wen on n stopped to processes wiv no name or filename but location n on called winstart but got dodgy msg afta restart so 2 of them are now bak enabled and one has dissapeared. thanks for ur time but ne oha ideas?

much appriciated,

andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, you could check your registry RUN folder, BUT BE WARNED... I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP!! DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING IN THE REGISTRY!

Go to Start/run... type in regedit

When the Registry window opens, click on the (+) signs to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/RUN

Once you see the RUN folder, right-click on it and choose EXPORT. When asked where to save the file, save it to your Desktop, and name it RUN, or something like that, then click OK.

On the right side of the Registry editor window, look to see if you have an item referencing your C: drive. It may just be a short entry something like C:\

If there is, right-click on it and choose MODIFY. Do not modify what shows up. Just write it down somewhere and then post it here.

And PLEASE... While I can read "text messaging lingo", I would rather NOT. Please reply in plain english! Thanks!

makai

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
sos dude. ryt dun that and here is the list

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"IMJPMIG8.1"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\IME\\imjp8_1\\IMJPMIG.EXE\" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32"
"PHIME2002ASync"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\IME\\TINTLGNT\\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC"
"PHIME2002A"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\IME\\TINTLGNT\\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName"
"ehTray"="C:\\WINDOWS\\ehome\\ehtray.exe"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.2_02\\bin\\jusched.exe"
"NVidia System Utility"="\"C:\\Program Files\\NVIDIA Corporation\\NVIDIA System Utility\\\\NVSystemUtility.exe\" clear"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe /Consumer"
"gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""
"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
"SoundMan"="SOUNDMAN.EXE"
"iTunesHelper"="\"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunesHelper.exe\""
"RegistryMechanic"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

hope that helps. erm also i ran pc tools registry mechanic and also PConPoint before coming here and all it did was seem to make my startup time slower and now after what i did before all the windows open themselves up twice!

again your time is appriciated,

cheers,

andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, no reference to C: for launching at startup.

Please go Here and download HijackThis. Read the page on how to use it. Save a log file and post it here. Do not have Hijackthis fix anything.

makai

Edited by makai, 02 August 2005 - 09:27 AM.

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
right, done that as requested. i got some error messages while using hijack this... is this normal? these happend while the scan was takin place. heres the file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:24:07, on 02/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\funeralforafriend\ffafnews.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NSMdtr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\McGow\My Documents\Hijack this\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVidia System Utility] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA System Utility\\NVSystemUtility.exe" clear
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "\" /WinStart
O4 - Startup: ffafnews.lnk = C:\Program Files\funeralforafriend\ffafnews.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\npjpi142_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\npjpi142_02.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zon...kr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {14B87622-7E19-4EA8-93B3-97215F77A6BC} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplane...DC_1_0_0_44.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.co...ad/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamesp...nch/alaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/z...s/heartbeat.cab
O16 - DPF: {E6187999-9FEC-46A1-A20F-F4CA977D5643} (ZoneChess Object) - http://messenger.zon...ss.cab31267.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Unknown owner - C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - Unknown owner - C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - Unknown owner - C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (PccPfw) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe (file missing)

cheers again with your help. i put this computer together meself, hoping for a much faster relaible computer and i think at the moment even though i can use it there is some underlying problems that will surface if not fixed soon.

andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, nothing there either.

By the way, need to verify what exactly is happening. When you say C: drive folder... what "window" is opening? What is the "name" of the window, and if there's a particular folder highlighted, what folder is it?

makai

Edited by makai, 02 August 2005 - 11:13 AM.

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Its the C: drive windows explorer window. As if you had gone into My computer and then into your hard drive. Non of the folders are highlighted. The window just pops up! Not sure if that helps sorry...

Cheers once again,

Andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder and delete all it's contents... DO NOT DELETE THE PREFETCH FOLDER ITSELF... JUST THE CONTENTS . Then restart your computer and let me know what happens.

makai

Advertisements

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz:

nope no joy. window still pops up and still slow on start up. not if it was actually slower than before now. not sure if that helps you or not bud.

cheers,

andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you boot to Administrator account to see if this also happens?

makai

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Erm how do i boot up into that? Theres only one account on my system and thats mine. Sos for being an idiot lol.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Before you do that, I want you to try something in the registry...

Go to Start/run... type in regedit

When the Registry window opens, click on the (+) signs to navigate to HKEY_Current_User/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/RUN

Once you see the RUN folder, right-click on it and choose EXPORT. When asked where to save the file, save it to your Desktop, and name it HKCU RUN, then click OK.

Now click on the Run folder so it's highlighted, and look in the right hand pane of the Registry Editor, you will see several things. Right-click on the entry pertaining to MessengerPlus3... and choose modify.

In the modify window, get rid of the extra space between "\" /WinStart

What it will look like after you get rid of the space = "\"/WinStart

Do you understand the directions? If you do, go ahead and do this then restart your computer.

makai

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You sir... are a genius!

The window seems to have stopped opening now! Don't know why thought I had anything on my system relating to Messenger Plus because i dont have it installed on my PC anymore. Startup is still fair slow i would say for my machine and not all the programs that should exectue on startup seem too (well at least not in the system icon tray), think thats just a case of sorintg that out in taskbar properties but that seems to have way too many icons nto showing themselves than i would of liked. Neways but that has solved the window problem cheers!

Andy