Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C: drive folder opens up on startup.

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm glad that worked for you! :tazz: (I was running out of things to suggest!!!)

As far as slow start up, your HJT log does show a few things loading up that you could probably do without. However, since I don't know how you "use" your computer, I won't recommend anything. As long as you can tolerate the slightly slow startup, and everything runs fine after startup, then just leave things as is.

Take care,
makai

Advertisements

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Cheers dude so much appriciated. One last question if you don't mind, do you think boosting my RAM from 1x512mb PC3200 to 1.5GB (1x512mb 1x1GB PC3200) would improve this greatly? I've started gettin into photoshop so when working wth images from me digital camera on high res it can get bit laggish so my kill to birds with one stone?

Cheers,

Andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ram won't help the slow startup, but it will help Photoshop. Photoshop typically uses half the installed ram while it's working, so yes, the more ram the better.

Your slow startup problems are actually too many things starting up... uhhh, don't know how else to say that!

Besides what your HJT log shows, you may have Services running that are also unnecessary. On my XP machine, I have only 19 processes running in Task manager.

Do ctrl+alt+del and check the Task manager/Processes tab, how many processes are running?

makai

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh ryt.... erm... 54... apparantly lol. Guessing thats alot then. Really I only use my PC for surfing the net, MSN mesenger, photoshop and playing music. Not much else really except Power Tabs (little program thingy help me learn guitar) and occasionally word or something liek that to do my homework. Seems I have many of the same procceses running at once :s

Andy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
hmmm.. 54 processes. No wonder your start up is slow! All these processes are being loaded by windows or apps that may require the particular service when they are called to run. Most won't do anything unless you use the particular program that started them in the first place, but, they do take up memory.

As I mentioned before, if your computer runs fine after startup, then don't worry about it.

If you want, start a new topic about how to kill some of your processes. I'm sure you'll get some interesting replies.

makai

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
kk, cheers bud much appriciated

andy

Tiberium

Tiberium

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Hey guys! I'm just a portuguese newbie who just have registered so I please you to ignore if I type any mistake! :S well... I had the same problem as 'not my fault' user, and thanks to 'akamai' I was able to solve my problem which was exactly the same as 'not my fault', as you see I'm talking about that messengerplus3 and winstart 'space' character problem... which was a bit strange, but now I'm very grateful cuz I had promise myself not to go sleeping until getting rid of this annoying problem of C: folder popping up at the windows startup... :) and... I searched, searched, searched, searched till I find this great forum, very friendly with specific help, not as many found at google and blablabla :happy: so I guess that was a good idea registering here and I hope you folks can help me get aknowledgment as you informatic geniuses! ;)

lol.. this attachment beneath the comment is the Moonspell logo, I dunno if guys know them, but they are one of the best portuguese metal bands! :tazz: anyway I just inserted it to test.. cya

Attached Thumbnails

• darkness_and_hope.JPG

Edited by Tiberium, 14 August 2005 - 10:53 PM.