Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with network

• Please log in to reply

bookwrm

bookwrm

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a notebook and a desktop connected with a router. I was previously able to print from the notebook to a shared printer, but now I am no longer able to do it. I reset the router and even tried to set up the network again, but it doesn't work. Under network connections for the desktop, I just have Local Area Connection listed (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit C). I clicked on advanced properties for this and this message was there:

Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore to restore Windows to an earlier time.

I tried System Restore and it was still the same situation.

The notebook has 2 items under network connections. 1394 connection and Local Area Connection (Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fas...)

Can you help with this problem?
Thanks

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
is this XP? have you tried to install SP2? this page may help,

troubleshooting w2k/xp
Troubleshooting W2K/XP. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted....
http://www.chicagote...ootingw2kxp.htm

bookwrm

bookwrm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is XP with Service Pack 2.
The Network Setup Wizard doesn't work either.

bookwrm

bookwrm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I uninstalled SP2 and then reinstalled it. The message I got previously---

The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore to restore Windows to an earlier time.

---is gone. I was also able to use the network setup wizard. Unfortunately, I am still not able to view workgroup computers. I get the message that "the workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions."

I have internet access with both computers, but not access between the computers through the network.

I am using Windows XP with SP2. Can you help? :tazz:

Thank you.

Edited by bookwrm, 02 August 2005 - 08:42 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
did you install any new firewalls or anti virus programs... sometimes they will block sharing abilities

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are both computers xp with sp2?

bookwrm

bookwrm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Both computers are XP with SP2. I haven't installed any firewalls or anti virus programs lately. The network worked until about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your help.

bookwrm

bookwrm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Should I reset the router to the factory settings? Would that help?

bookwrm

bookwrm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
My son suggested renaming the workgroup. We tried this on each computer and the network in now working. Thanks for all your help.