Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HiJack This Log - Thanks in Advance [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Hi Dan :tazz:

Please download this application.

Ccleaner

Install it, and let it put shortcuts to your Recycle Bin for convenience. Open it, and click on the Options button, and then on the Advanced button; untick the box next to Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours, then click "Ok". Click on "Run Cleaner" and let it do its thing (getting rid of all Temp, temp internet files, cookies, etc..).

After that please reboot and send me a new hijack log. ;)

I also sat down and was thinking why you kept getting them cookies, every time you get on the net you will get cookies. I clear mine every single day. :)

Advertisements

goodday

goodday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
John,

I downloaded Ccleaner and here is a new HJT Log as you requested. I followed it up with a Spybot just for grins and the results are below the HJT Log. I still have the same problem.

I am not against cookies and also delete them daily, but I was going on the assumption that since Spybot was listing them in their search results and that they were asking for me to delete them that they were "objectionables". Maybe I am wrong, as I have been wrong so many times in my 56years that one more time won't hurt anything. Questions: 1. Do you know why Spybot asks me to delete these as objectionalbles? 2. What is Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc., and DoubleClick and are they some form of malware? 3. Are they harmful? 4. If so and from all that we have tried, is there a way to track them and find their root source and redirect them into some sort of file? I found information to go to one or 2 sites and do some kind of disconnect (not the right term), but it didn't work either. Thanks ------------- Dan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:32:31 PM, on 8/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Progra Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mwavscan] "C:\Kaspersky\mwavscan.com" /s
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122778354493
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{5E69FC66-E4E1-4BD4-8656-396D79620CD2}: NameServer = 151.164.1.8,206.13.28.12
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

-------------------
Spybot Results
Advertising.com: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)
Avenue A, Inc.: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)
DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Firefox: default) (Cookie, nothing done)

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Hi Dan :tazz:

That is being a real pain in the butt if you get my drift?

That log is clean as a whistle other than that, lets try something else here.

I would like you to run a on-line scan for me. It has to be ran through internet explorer as much as i dislike using that. This scan can't be done using firefox.

Panda Activescan Make sure to tick off auto clean.

Reboot and send me a new hijack log. ;)

Oops had to do an edit

To answer them questions, no cookies are not considered spyware. They just help speed up the process to get to the site you want to go to when you go back to a certain site you have visited. I believe even g2g has cookies, but don't quote me on that because i am not 100% sure.

Edited by John_L, 07 August 2005 - 09:47 PM.

goodday

goodday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
John,

I have been busy on other matters and I will try to download and run Panda later tonight. In addition, let me revise what I stated earlier. I am not against cookies and know the workings of. I try to also delete them daily, but I was going on the assumption that since Spybot is listing Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc., & DoubleClick: in their search results and that they were asking for me to delete them that they were "objectionables". Have you ever researched these 3? Are they some form of 3rd party advertising? Merely as a simple example, I view cookies much the same way as cholesterol --- the good and the bad scenario. A bit of a research note, I did a quick Google advanced search using the 3 aforementioned sites in “all of the words” and although not having enough time to fully research these matters, found many other references and numerous people having exactly the same problems as I. I found one site that allows you to “opt out” of receiving cookies from a couple of them, but they still seem to come back. ------- Thanks again ------- Dan

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Hi again Dan :tazz:

I was doing a little research about cookies, in fact the ones you mentioned and i found a very interesting read, located here.

http://www.phillipsn...lib_case122.cfm

And then i asked around to some of the staff here, and this is where they sent me to find a cookie blocker, hopefully this will give you a option or two how you want to deal with cookies.

http://www.jasons-to.....am=Cookie Jar

I can't tell you how it works, or if it works well as I don't use any thing like this in my machine.

Hopefully that will help some. ;)

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free :tazz:

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at:

Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE--Adaware Tutorial

Spybot S&D--Spybot Tutorial

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts.

AVG Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention :

Zone Alarm Sygate Kerio

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes :

Firefox Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications.

It is vitally important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by microsoft.

This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

To add to the performance of your computer, i suggest a weekly maintenance program. Run this tool. Ccleaner

Lastly a second opinion on the Antivirus that you have chosen. I suggest running these online virus scans periodically, just to make sure that the av is doing a proper job, of keeping you safe :

Rav Online Scan Housecall Online Scan Panda Activescan

Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox

And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein and dvk01)

Good luck and safe surfing ;)

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.