Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hang and Freeze

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
My machine has recently (last few days) begun not to finish shutting down. It gets to the message "Windows is shutting down..." but goes no further. ;)
I have XP Sp2. I've run Norton WinDoctor, Registry First Aid, and Clean Up, but to no avail. I did a system restore to a week earlier, and that did not fix it either.
What might I look for or try next? :tazz:
Thanks!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
System File Check:
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
note the space, and have your XP cd ready at the prompt.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Johanna -
Thanks for the help...
I ran it as directed, then checked what happened...
and got Events: 64016 - 7035.7036.7036.7036 - 64017 within the time frame involved.

Soon after the scan began I got the prompt to install the Xp CD, which I did, and a "What do you want to do?" screen. The option "Install Windows Xp" was highlighted, but when I clicked on it got the error message "Windows set up cannot continue...version on coputer is newer than version on CD." When I exited al that, the sfc continued to completion.

Did what needed to happen seem to have happened, as far as any of this indicates?
Thanks again.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Johanna -
Oh yes... how could I have forgotten... not only at shutdown, but I have also begun to get hangups and freezes while using various programs and other general windows functions. I've seen quite a few "program is not responding" notices in the past few days as well... {One even happened while I was browsing your site, and trying to save your 10 points for internet protection! Now that's a serious problem!} And... my desktop seems to take longer and longer to load up and populate the icons... and similarly when I go to "My Computer" it takes longer than ever to fill in.
Thanks
Dan

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Johanna -
More dire diagnostic...
I'm still getting the hang up on shut down... during the "Windows is shutting down" screen...
And I am also now getting a "black screen freeze" on booting up and Windows loading.
When I warm reboot (which I have had to do up to several times in a row at such a black screen of death on start up) I have also gotten the black screen with white text asking what I want to do: "Start Windows Normally?" - in "Safe Mode" - using "Last Good Configuration - the Last One that Worked" - and so on.
And all of my "begging and pleading" ( :tazz: ) directly to the front of the machine during such startups and shutdowns goes completely undeeded...
Thanks!
Dan K.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you know how to get into your BIOS? Usually you tap the delete key at boot. You need to see what temps the motherboard is reporting. I know a couple of good softwares to do this, but it sounds like you haven't got time. When you boot the computer, do you get a POST beep? If so, what does it sound like- short, long, how many (yes, it's a code!) When you say the computer freezes, do you still have keyboard and mouse function? Sorry for all the questions, but it's hard troubleshooting hardware without sitting in front of the machine. By the way, never beg the doggone thing. Swear. Swear in every language you speak. I threaten to run my truck over machines that refuse to obey. Nah...doesn't help much, but it relieves tension. ;-)

Johanna

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Johanna -
Thanks for your reply...
I got into the BIOS and found:
CPU Temp 49-50 / 120-122
System Temp 38 / 100

Also, if it's of any relevance... CPU Critical Temp - Disabled
CPU fan speed - 4800-4900
System Fan - 0
Power Fan - 0

And there is what sounds to me like a short/quick beep on boot

And... while searching my way to the above... I noted:
Boot Sector Virus Protection - Disabled
That didn't sound good to me... should I do anything here?

And... "begging and pleading", like the beep, is also "code"... note the emoticon I employed there.

And... no need at all to say "sorry for all the questions"!

First of all... you are helping me! I got some help with spyware removal from one of your Geeks to Go colleagues a month or so ago, and she was also rather apologetic for having to have me "do all this again"... It should be "Gracious Geeks to Go"!
And... questions are the answer; I just love the investigative work!
So... ask away!

And... it's quite an image... your Czarina-with-cigarette graphic... in a truck... cursing and swearing in various languages... heading right toward the CPU...
How kool is that! :tazz:

And thanks.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Any further direction or ideas on this issue?
Thanks

papashango

papashango

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Any further direction or ideas on this issue?
Thanks

View Post

have you tried an XP repair install?