Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

rundll32.exe seems broken, how do i fix it?

• Please log in to reply

snal

snal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, couldn't find this problem anywhere else (didn't really know what to search for). This is my first post so not really sure what to put down.

I had some pretty bad spyware on my computer yesterday which was opening heaps of adult sites while i was using other programs, also my internet was downloading/uploading even while i had no programs open. The spyware also disabled task manager and norton internet security (i'm sure it did other stuff but this was what i found) and slowed down my computer dramatically at times.

I read some forums and ran AdAware, Spybot S&D, Microsoft Anti-Syware, Trend Micro Housecall (spyware), Clean Up!, Hijack This and Norton Antivirus. It took lots of tries before the problem seemed to go away cause the spyware would get deleted by the programs then come back when i started my computer again. Now it seems that most of it is gone (i can use task manager and everything else, i'm not constantly uploading/downloading and i haven't been getting pop-ups) but i think at some stage i've damaged some Windows files or something.

My computer runs fine when i start it up but after i open a few programs and do a few things on it it starts to lock up. The start menu and folders work fine but i can't open any new programs and programs that are already running run super slow (as though i'm running 40 other programs at the same time). When i try to shut down my machine it tells me that everything running is 'not responding' including rundll32.exe.

So i'm not sure what the problem is, was hoping someone here could help out. Thanks tons in advance,

Stuart

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
rundll32.exe is used by many programs... including Spyware!

Are you certain you don't have anymore spyware on your system?

If not, post in the Malware forum for help to check your system.

makai

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Snal, post in MALWARE forum like Makai suggests.
Sounds like you got a hidden bug.

JMHO,
G