Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new hardware causing slow start up?

• Please log in to reply

stix4jah

stix4jah

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just got my computer back from the shop, they had to switch out our previous ASUS mobo with an Intel and both CPU and RAM were replaced, all due to a nasty incident involving World of Warcraft in a hot room with no ventilation... This isn't the first time we've replaced the mobo but this time they threw in an Intel and said it was good to go. Got it home to discover a start up that ranges between five minutes and no complete start up at all. The initial screen shows then the monitor goes black and is replaced 5 seconds or so later but the "windows is starting up" screen. This is where the wait, or apparent freeze up occurs. No new software has been added that might cause this and I've racked my brains to come up with what might be causing it. Any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer for another month long PCless stint waiting for them to figure it out?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did they reinstall windows on your pc, because if they didnt it will have the wrong drivers and you should reinstall it.

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
They didn't reinstall windows and as far as I can see they installed all the new drivers. I also forgot to mention that they replaced our previous video card and installed its drivers...I think I'm going to just call them tomorrow but any help would still be appreciated.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
so they say, do you trust them?

they swiped out the motherboard then they must reinstalled the windows so that it will not create a conflict between new hardware and old drivers, conflict=no start up/[bleep] startup

you took it to a shop then it should be still under warrenty, take it back to them or just take care of it yourself ;)

if you give it to them then you wait a long time :tazz:
do it your self, 24hrs (reinstalling windows+drivers+software+games+updating all software to new versions)

*note any personal information on hard drive will be lost*

Edited by Stasiek, 08 August 2005 - 04:23 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well back it up and reinstall windows just because they install drivers in windows doesnt mean it has has the drivers needed. You say the switched it out with an intel was it a amd system before or are you talking about the chipset.

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Well back it up and reinstall windows just because they install drivers in windows doesnt mean it has has the drivers needed. You say the switched it out with an intel was it a amd system before or are you talking about the chipset.

View Post

It was an ASUS mobo that they replaced with an Intel, not AMD.
The startup works about 90% of the time but it just takes a fe minutes to get past the "windows is starting up" screen.

And Stasiek, of course reinstalling windows will lose any personal information, its kind of a given when you wipe the hard drive....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not always you dont have to reformat sometimes its not the best way to do it and it wouldnt fix your problem i dont think. I meant the cpu that they replaced ASUS make mobos for both intel and AMD systems so thats why asked what the cpu they changed it to from whatece it was.

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I called the place we get our service done after I had a full-blown Windows crash and ended up running a bunch of diagnostic programs on the system. Turns out it was the RAM stick that they installed. Now I just have to replace it...again. Thanx for the help guys, even if it wasn't exactly what was happening, I appreciate it.