Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer, Keeps Restarting.

• Please log in to reply

johntrumble

johntrumble

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just bought everything I needed to build my computer from Newegg.
here is what i have.

MSI 865PE Neo2-P motherboard
Pentium 4 Processor, 3EGHz 800 MHz 1MB
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 8x/4x
two Crucial Tech DDR 400/512MB Memory
Turbolink power supply model #420-ATX-12v
80GB harddrive

the 80 GB harddrive is from my old computer which already has my Windows XP installed. After I installed everything I loaded the computer. The computer will begin to load normally then it takes me to a page that apoligizes for not strating properly. It gives me options to start in safe mode or start normally. No matter what I choose the computer just restarts. Over and Over again. Cant get past it.
Whats wrong?

Advertisements

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You say the Hard Drive is from your old PC which already has XP on it.

This could be your problem, if your machine is trying to boot up with your old HD and old drivers installed then you will have issues.

I recomend getting into SAFE MODE and uninstalling every single device in your device manager, all you GFX stuff, sound devices, everything, then reboot, windows should start up and start telling you about all the wonderful new devices it has found.

Alternatively it could be an overheating issue, it is possilbe you have set your CPU to the wrong voltage frequency or the wrong multiplier and your CPU is cooking, check your BIOS to see if it gives you a CPU temp display.

Again it could also be related to your FAN speed, in my BIOS I have a setting to shut down my PC should my CPU fan go below 2000rpm, I also used to have a problem with a certain mobo, where the jumper settings were wrong which caused the machine to think it's fan wasnt working and constantly rebooted the PC.

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
At this point it would save you more time to simply reinstall the OS. I generally frown upon not trying to tech it out, but uninstalling/ reinstalling every single driver will be a major pain in the butt. But eh, that's me.

-Matt