Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost PC Set-up, configurations, etc.

• Please log in to reply

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Several months ago (March 05) had problem with About:blank. Researched, used HJT and forums to address. Seemed to have solved problem. Learned my lesson. Added ZoneAlarm suite, backed up using Norton Ghost, upgraded to Windows Service Pack2. ZoneAlarm seemed to be working great. Had no problems. Then came approx July 4th, and went to use PC (Compaq S4300N) and it seems to have reverted back to orig set-up as if it was brand new. Family claims did not touch. Several applications (e.g., printer, sound card, work VPN) also just seemingly disappeared. Service Pack 2 seems to have disappeared. PC properties now say I have Service Pak 1. ZoneAlarm will not start automatically. Desktop display has all the commercial software app ad stuff that was there when first bought PC. I want to get PC back to pre-July 4th. Want to do right. Have not restored from Norton Ghost files or from Windows XP restore. Have reinstalled sound card, printer etc. Have not reinstalled Service Pack2.
First basic questions - how did this happen and where do I start to fix this problem? Am starting this topic at work so do not have other hardware specifics at this time.
Thanks..

Advertisements

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Perhaps with it being the 4th of July, your PC hardware was simply showing it's "independence" from oppressive rule of the XP operating system :tazz:

Sorry on a more serious note I would question your family more. I have never heard of a PC selectively uninstalling programs, updates and devices.

Sure a device can go wrong and be uninstalled, or you can accidentally un-install a prog, but for all those things to just "happen" is unlikely if not impossible.

Of course a well meaning family member could accidentally uninstall something, then go to try and fix the problem and end up buggering some more thing's and before long they are in a state of panic cos they clicked to many "Are you sure?" buttons and now they dont want to admit it.

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Kid,
Thanks for the reply.
I concur with suspicion re: family "I know nothinnnnnng!"
Would like to know how to best approach reconstructing previous state.
When I look at W-XP retore program, it does not give me a Pre-07/04 restore point. Only to 07/06. I'm leery of usng that only because I think that is post when problem started.
Should I only try to use reinstall of the info from the Norton Ghost backup I had performed in March prior to SP-2 installation?
Do I:
1. Start over with HJT scan, submit, and follow instructions.?
2. Then peform new back-up using Norton Ghost, or restore using previous back-up?
3. Then re-install SP-2?
4. Re-install all other apps not whowing up?
ZiaMan

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You could run HJT to check for bugs, but I doubt very much that there is any malware out there capable of doing this.

The best suggestiong would be to do a complete Re-Ghost using the image you made in March, this will at least get you back to a state where you know what is happening on your system.

Then add SP2 and all your other apps, before going and slapping all family members with a "thou shalt NOT f*** with my computer" sign and change your password :tazz:

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Certainly the symptoms of a system that processed a system restore......
Running recovery wouldn't remove all the system checkpoints.....

You should reinstall the programs.......with a built in lie detector??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
[edit]

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 12:53 PM.