Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen every few seconds.

• Please log in to reply

TiffB

TiffB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For the past few days my computer has decided to not work very well. At first it was when I'd try to play a certain video or two this black screen would come up and freeze the computer for a second and then go back. Now it is every video and sometimes even other things (videos on web pages, certain graphics) that make it do this. Now the screen doesn't just pop up once, it pops up every few seconds until I restart or until it gives up and the monitor seems to shut itself off..and will not turn back on unless I restart.

I have a year old Dell Dimension 8300. I called Dell and asked them if they could help me and all the guy told me to do was to shut off start up applications. The only thing we actually found out is that it doesnt seem to do it in safe mode, but since I didn't have any videos to test it in safe mode who knows. I am up to date on my virus protection but this just seems to confuse me.

A few people have said my video card might be going but this computer is basically new and I am still making payments on it.

So could it be overheating? video card? What is causing my computer to go black screen and then turn off its monitor?

Advertisements

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Check all the cables first.

Then if you are running an add on video card, check to ensure it is seated properly.

JMHO,
G

TiffB

TiffB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I checked my cables because we have a new puppy and I was afraid he may have ruined some but they all appear fine and I un-plugged and re-plugged them all back in to make sure.

I don't know..maybe next I'll hook up a different monitor to see if it makes a difference?

Edited by TiffB, 02 August 2005 - 10:58 AM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
:tazz: Excellent idea!

G