Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my mouse ps2 or not?

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Trying to buy a wireless mouse tomorrow, but im not sure what suits my cpu. I heard some comp can use ps2 mouse, while others cant.

Is that true? Also, are there other factors to which mouse i can use?

Advertisements

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hi,

the ps2 plug is pretty much the "old" plug. I mean, new computers still have such a ps2 port, but probably not long, since USB ports are becoming the new standard. My dad got a new vaio 480 two days ago- it doesn't have a ps2 port anymore. Assuming you have a desktop, or a larger laptop, you'll have a ps2 port. But honestly, IF you're already buying a new mouse, go with USB. hope i could help,

Franz

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmm, im a computer idiot so here i go... =p

USB are those rectangluar-like holes that allows u to stick ur memory sticks isnt? Cos i've never seen a plug for a mouse by that shape.

Also, im trying to buy a corded optical mouse, so i can just purchase a usb version of it?

Can i verify this with everest? ( f so where? )

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yes, that is a usb port...and yes you should get the usb mouse...they respond a little faster usually

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic, im not sure if a usb mouse can be used on my comp.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
anyone able to offer really quick help cos i've gtg in 20 odd mins and meet my friends to purchase the mouse. Im just worried the mouse is not suitable for my cpu, somehow, or am i being paranoid?

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
How are we supposed to know if it will suit your pc when we don't know what type of pc you have, if the mouse doesn't work with your pc, just take it back and swop it for one that will.

cheers woody

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as long as you have a usb port...and the mose is compatile with your os then you're good

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

as long as you have a usb port...and the mose is compatile with your os then you're good

View Post

yap got that.

Shops dont normally change for u here once u open up the box

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
What kind of mouse are you using now?

Turn mouse over and read the bottom label:

It will say: "PS2 Compatible" or "USB Compatible" or "USB and PS2 Compatible" or - whatever compatible -

If nothing else: Just take the mouse with you and ask DEALER - what is it.

Jack123

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It doesnt matter because every mouse ive seen comes with a usb to ps2 adapter so it works either way.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's all irrelevant because he has a ps/2 mouse...has anyone ever seen a teal usb connector?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i bought a kensington wireless mouse for usb yesterday from circuit city. works flawlessly.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
There is NO BETTER mice out there http://www.logitech....,CONTENTID=9043

;)

EDIT: You would have to pry it from my cold dead hands :tazz:

Edited by OneCool, 03 August 2005 - 05:23 PM.