Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony VAIO Laptop Mystery

• Please log in to reply

peppers13

peppers13

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
My grandfather has a Sony VAIO laptop computer (PCG-F520) running Windows 98.

About a month ago, he had a problem where it would not get past the opening Windows screen (with the little blue bar running back and forth across the bottom).

After numerous phone calls to Sony, they informed me that the only solution would be to use the restore disk (which my grandfather had lost). I found and purchased one on the Internet (since Sony no longer manufactures them for that model), but I also found a solution to the problem where all we had to do was run Scan Disk when I went to visit him. There were several bad clusters, and supposedly, all was back to normal.

Now, there's a new problem, and I'm not sure if it's related to the previous problem!

My grandfather primarily uses the laptop to go online with AOL to search the Internet and occasionally write an e-mail. Due to a stroke, he does not have the best control with his fingers, and his e-mails are often "interesting" at best. Because of this, I never wanted him to try fixing the problem on his own in case he would type the wrong thing.

My grandfather is using the mouse that came with the Sony Vaio. He has not downloaded anything to his knowledge.

I do not know if Logitech manufactures "mice" for Sony, but last week, my grandfather started getting a message when his computer loaded, and he could not get past this to do anything else.

First he sees a message that says, "Windows 98 is now starting your MSDOS program. Device is named the MSCD001."

Then, that disappears...he was rapidly reading to me what the next message said, so I apologize that this is pretty much bits & pieces of phrases that he saw on the screen. There is a blue bar that is about an inch & a half thick that is a third of the way down on his monitor.

The title of this bizarre "window" is "Logitech Mouse Driver."

Other phrases on the screen...

"MSCD001"
"transfer mode enabling"
"c:\???\realmode\initialization mouse driver"
"MSCDEX 2125"
"copyright 1984"
"PS/2 Device Found"
"Release 8.21"

Bottom line...is this some sort of virus that he could have downloaded? Again, perhaps Logitech made the mouse for Sony, but it sounds to me as though he is seeing some sort of installation process that completes each time he turns on the computer, yet he can never get past that screen.

I have contacted Logitech, but their tech support department has been pretty much worthless.

Truly hope someone out there can help...thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
does this "window" stay up long enough for him to get a screen shot....or does it close automatically?

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

does this "window" stay up long enough for him to get a screen shot....or does it close automatically?

View Post

Well, it stays on the screen, and he can never get past it to do anything else. So, even if he got a screen shot, there's no way for him to e-mail it to me. He is absolutely stuck on this screen and can't get any further.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can he start the thing up in safe mode?

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

can he start the thing up in safe mode?

View Post

If I can get him to do that, what should I then have him do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hehe....unfortunately...i'm not sure...i'll get some extra eyes...but if he can start it up in safe mode and the error doesnt happen...then it might be something we can fix

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

hehe....unfortunately...i'm not sure...i'll get some extra eyes...but if he can start it up in safe mode and the error doesnt happen...then it might be something we can fix

View Post

O.K. I'll try to see if he can and will post back later today or tomorrow. Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Howdy:

It almost sounds like he loaded his cd-rom drivers via DOS rather than using a WinME boot floppy to do it..

Both those files have to do with the cd-rom drivers..
If he can get to Safe Mode, I would suggest going into Device Manager and dumping the cd-rom's and then rebooting to let Windows find them and install the drivers again..

Murray

View Post

this is murrays's suggestion....

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

this is murrays's suggestion....

View Post

I still haven't had a chance to visit with my grandfather; he has numerous doctor appts. today, and it wouldn't be a good time to bring this up.

Anyway, I appreciate Murray's suggestion, but how could this just happen on its own? My grandfather would not know a thing about loading CD-ROM drivers. In fact, he never uses the CD-ROM drive! Unfortunately, there's no way I could get him to do this over the phone due to his typing challenges with his stroke. It would have to wait until I visit him next (no clue when that will be).

Thanks so much for your help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well....the drivers may just have become corrupted...not neccessarily mis-installed..... i used to work as a CNA in a stroke rehab facility so i understand his plight....it might be an option for you to attempt to start all over with the machine when you go to visit him

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

well....the drivers may just have become corrupted...not neccessarily mis-installed..... i used to work as a CNA in a stroke rehab facility so i understand his plight....it might be an option for you to attempt to start all over with the machine when you go to visit him

View Post

O.K. Thanks again for all of your help! :tazz:

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It turns out that someone at the retirement home helped my grandfather. I guess he was in DOS and instructed him to type "exit" and all went back to normal. I do NOT understand at all what happened, but he is back in business.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like someone stuck a boot floppy in his machine and forgot it was there. All those files load from the boot floppy. MSCD001 is the cd-rom driver.

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

It sounds like someone stuck a boot floppy in his machine and forgot it was there. All those files load from the boot floppy. MSCD001 is the cd-rom driver.

View Post

Nope. Sadly, he doesn't even know how to put a CD in the drive, so that can't be it. Regardless, he's back in business, but this is still a bit baffling!