Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 safe mode after router installed

• Please log in to reply

irishlass226

irishlass226

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please help,

My friend has an older windows 98 desktop. He had comcast come out and install a router/cable modem. Took them four tries but it worked. Then it failed. I got it working for about an hour, failed. Another friend had it working for about 3 hours.

The RCA modem is lit with 2 steady green. 2 blinking so comcast told me it wasn't their problem. to take it to the shop. The computer only boots in safe mode and when I do an IP search it comes up with a fatal error. Also getting windows protection error.

Nothing I try seems to work(uninstall router, comcast and reinstall), I am at a loss. Any ideas???? BTW, is there a system restore in windows 98, couldn't find it. I have been on XP for last 3 years.

Right now the system only boots in safe mode, there is no internet connection, and I am so frustrated. :tazz:

kelly

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There is no System restore, per se, on Win98. However, there is something to that effect.

Get into dos. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore (note the space between the word scanreg and the forward slash)

A menu will open where you can choose a restore date/file. Choose one of them and hopefully it will work. No high hopes here as many times it will error out... but if it does, just try again.

makai