Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 2k boots to blank black screen

• Please log in to reply

kshrop

kshrop

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Pretty new system, amd 3400, been running win2k for a while now. this last weekend i got a video card finally and installed it, everything was working fine

I setup a dvd burn and went to bed, when I was getting ready for work and walked by the pc I saw it sitting at a black screen with a flashing prompt. I powered off the machine and powered it back on. It shows my video card and then the motherboard splash screen. When the splash screen disappears instead of doing the "loading windows 2000" screen it goes to a black screen with a flashing prompt.

That night I played with it for a while and finally just stuck another hard drive into the machine and reinstalled windows 2000 onto the other drive, yes i moved the new hd to master and made the old one a slave. Was able to install and run the service packs and everything seemed fine once more. Went to bed and woke up today and looked at it, went to a webpage ive visited many times and the computer locks up for a few minutes then automatically reboots. I watched the reboot sequence and this time after the motherboard splash screen it came up with the message "no operating system found".

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on here? I would think its the video card except that it worked fine for a couple hours before I ever went to bed the first night and just don't see any reason for the video card. I had thought it was just corrupted startup files for the OS but now the other hard drive I just put in and installed win2k to is showing this new message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have any floppies, cds, dvds, or usb drives/devices connected/inserted into the machine? if so remove them and reboot

kshrop

kshrop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
nope, nothing in it, tried rebooting a couple of times