Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows freezes after loading

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Let me preface this by saying any help is much appreciated.

My system description: AMD Athalon XP 2.1 GHz, 1 gig of DDR RAM, 80 gig HD (it's not an IDE hd, but an SATA drive), Asus motherboard. I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all updates installed. At bootup, I have the following loading: Symantec Anti-Virus (v10.0, I think), Spysweeper v4.0, and ZoneAlarm Pro v6.0.

Here is my problem: About 4 months ago, I built this system and installed OS and all software myself. Since then, every couple days or so, my system would freeze. It didn't happen after any specific program was started or anything. It would just freeze, and I would have to do a re-boot. As I didn't feel like having to fdisk and re-install from scratch, I decided to live with it since it only happened once or twice every few days.

Then this morning, it froze about 30 minutes after boot-up, and when I re-booted, it froze again about 2 minutes into it. It did this 10 times before I got fed up with it.

I booted into safe mode a couple times, and it didn't freeze, so I'm assuming that means it's some sort of software issue, not hardware. I did the normal things: ran a scandisk, defragged, ran an antivirus and a spyware sweep. But it found nothing. I even tried a System Restore, but it froze upon rebooting in the middle of the restore.

The most recent thing I installed was last night I installed "Microsoft Update" in place of "Windows Update." But I didn't like it, so I went back to just "Windows Update."

The last thing I installed before that was last Friday I installed both a program called Internet Download Accelerator (it's a download manager) and I upgraded from ZoneAlarm v5.5 to v6.0.

But, as I said, this problem has been happening sporatically for months now. It just started to happen numerous times this morning.

A few days ago, I suspected the problem was Adobe Reader updater that was loading at Startup, so I disabled that. This morning's "freezing session" was the first time it's frozen since I disabled that, but I don't know if there's any correlation.

Any help is appreciated. And if I haven't given some information that is needed, please ask. I do know my way around a computer, but am no where near fully knowledgable, so I hope someone out there has some advice.

ALSO--> I checked my Event viwer, not that I know what I'm looking for, but just wanted to see if anything jumped out at me. And I saw something listed there called Yukonwxp. Don't know what it is. I googled it, but I still can't tell whether it's supposed to be there or not.

Edited by diggeryo, 02 August 2005 - 02:00 PM.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
i know you said you scanned already but:

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

and i know you haven't had this machine for very long but try this
http://www.memtest86.com/ and test your ram one stick at a time