Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

missing a start up file :(

• Please log in to reply

convictedferret

convictedferret

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
my computer froze while playing halo(as it often does), when i went to restart it, it came up with a screen that said file c:/windows/system32/config/system is missing or corupt, this exact thing had happened before wiht the same file, last time i reformated my computer ;). this time however i really dont want to, it says that i can repair the file... when i put in the windows xp disk it comes up with a menu that has two options; install windows or repair, when i press repair it comes up with a command promt type menu were it has about 20 differnet things i can do i looked at what all of them do and none of them seem to help
i also tried to go to the most recent configuration that worked and that didnt work :)

please help :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try the following tutorial for a non-destructive repair..

Repair WinXP

Murray

convictedferret

convictedferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for the help, in the guide it says that if it doesnt find a previouse version of windows the partiotion is too corrupt, that happened to me, so does that mean im going to have to reformat?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yep..

Murray

convictedferret

convictedferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
luckily i had a partition on my computer so i installed windows on the d drive, is there a way that i can fix the c drive or a way that i can transfer my acounts to the d drive? right now i cant access my admin account from my c drive ;)

:tazz:

Edited by convictedferret, 02 August 2005 - 05:57 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You will need to take Ownership of those files..

Start>Help>Take Ownership

Murray

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Before u try "Repair".
Give this a shot first. (link)

convictedferret

convictedferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
omg it acually worked! i cant beleive it, thank you so much :tazz:

Edited by convictedferret, 03 August 2005 - 12:47 PM.

convictedferret

convictedferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ARGGGG..... now when windows opens i click on my account and an error comes up that says

"the procedure entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be found.." something like that

any way after that i used murry's advice and reinstalled windows, when i start windows i was able to access my accouts except for my admin one, when i try it come up with this error
"windows cannot load the user's profile but has loaded the system default instead Detail- not enough storage available for this command"

now im stuck, on this profile( not sure if its mine or not, because nothing is right) it wont let me do much of any thing when i try to play a game it comes up with an error that says "at the top on the blue it has.... error: create directory(c:\documents settings\Trevor adams\local settings\ect...)
in the acuall message it says.... cannot create a file when that file already exists."

Edited by convictedferret, 03 August 2005 - 08:27 PM.