Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new Tv/monitor/sound setup

• Please log in to reply

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

Currently in my room I've got a PC going through a 14" CRT monitor, a 14" CRT TV with XBox & PS2 and a nakered cd player so I play all my music through my little crappy PC speakers.

I want a new monitor, TV and either surround sound of somehow decent stereo sound from as many or if possible all my equipment. I also want to try and save space as my room isn't too big.

I was looking at getting a 17" LCD TV and also putting my PC through that but thinking a might miss the TV when on the PC. Possibley get annoyed by just having one screen in my room. Also was thinkin about gettin PC surround sound and hooking everything up to that but that looks like it might get expnsive.

Anyone any ideas or done anyhting like this before? I'm lookin at spending around £400, maybe mroe but not too much more.

Your ideas and time would be very much appriciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well since you hav media center then a tv tuner card or usb box would be a nice solution. You then buy yourself a 5.1 speaker kit which you can get for anywhere between 40 pounds and 40000 pounds the choice is huge on that front. You then buy a good LCD monitor with a decent response lcd television/moniters are very expensive compared to plain monitors. An example you could get a monitor like mine a 19" samsung syncmaster with an 8ms response( thats good if you are unaware of monitor terms) Which i got for 210 pounds with a free game because that was cheaper than the one without the game weird totally irrelevant but i always mention it cause it was strange.

So all your media is routed through your pc you might want to get a big HDD as well while you are at it. If you get a usb box there should be line in for a vcr console so you can get your xbox and ps2 in there but jeso ps2 xbox and pc in your room sounds like you spend alot of time in there. You could always keep your old telly.

not_my_fault

not_my_fault

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Haha. Well erm yeh kinda i spend most of my time in my room IF im in the house... which isn't too often these days with college n work, having said that i'm on my summer holidays now and it's sooo boring. Mostly just play guitar and use PC though. Anyways the Xbox used to be my brothers in his room but he was selling it and i still wanted an Xbox so i bought it off him.

The usb box, is that just an external TV tuner card you mean?

Still don't really want me old tv, you rekon it would be worthwhile buying a fair cheap monitor and a fair cheap lcd tv which i could use as a monitor aswell?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well a cheap monitor is fine but there isnt such a thing as a cheap lcd tv. Yeah an external tv card they seem to be better than the internal cards. Well you can only do one thing at once so there isnt much point getting two( i say this as i myself am sitting in my room with the telly on). A normal telly is pretty cheap you do pay alot for lcd so on a budget i would never consider buying a lcd tv. A good 15" would be your whole budget whereas in a monitor you can get 19" better quality, response, resolution and still have lots of money left.