Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager won't open

• Please log in to reply

dippin61

dippin61

• Pip
  • 8 posts
all of a sudden my task manager won't open. That got me to thinkin about viruses and spyware.. so ran a full virus scan that came up empty, then ran adaware which found a bunch of worms :tazz: . so i quarantined them and here i am. Task manager still wont work and now im kinda stuck on what to do. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

I am running on windows 2k

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go Here and scroll down to 113. Save the file to your desktop with a .reg extension. Double click on the file and confirm Yes/ok. You may have to restart your computer.

makai

Edited by makai, 02 August 2005 - 02:54 PM.

dippin61

dippin61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
should i click the disable, enable or repair link?
and i noticed taht was for windows xp tweaks?
i run on 2k

btw the worm that i did find was
WIN32.P2P-WORM.ALCAN.A

Edited by dippin61, 02 August 2005 - 03:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
My humble apologies! I was just helping someone on a XP machine, and while I usually look at the users profile, I must have missed yours.

XPs registry is basically the same as Win2k, but after you posted about the WIN32.P2P-WORM.ALCAN.A, I think your task manager problems are related, as this worm messes with your windows shell.

Please post in the Malware forum about this worm WIN32.P2P-WORM.ALCAN.A. You will be expected to follow procedures found Here.

We cannot proceed with your Task Manager problem until your machine is clean, so please be patient and we'll get you fixed up. Sorry again for the mixup.

makai

Edited by makai, 02 August 2005 - 04:13 PM.