Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ps2 keyboard/mouse not working anymore

• Please log in to reply

shadow_005

shadow_005

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a ps2 keyboard and the mx510 mouse (using PS2 Adapter). I used them for like 2 years. Never had any problems. But today I installed a raid controller (SRCS16 from Intel). I am using RAID 5 SATA. Everything went fine. But at the part where I have to enter my timezone during the Windows XP installation my keyboard didnt work anymore. And it never worked again since then. Shortly after my mouse failed to work. I unplugged the adapter and connected the mouse to an USB port. I also used another keyboard (USB) and connected it to the USB port. Both worked fine. But why is my PS2 'gone'? I can't even enter the bios with my PS2 keyboard anymore.

Sometimes my mouse works after booting. But as soon as I hit a button on the PS2 keyboard (the keyboard that doesnt work) or when I make a mouse click the mouse stops responding too.

I tried setting the USB legacy to [auto]/[enabled]/[disabled], all didnt work. The keyboard lights (numlock, capslock, etc) flash 3 times when booting. But that's it, the keyboard is pretty dead apart from that.

Sometimes (when i have the PS2 keyboard plugged in and not the USB one) I get an error saying that there is no keyboard detected or something, press F1 to resume.

(I have a P4C800-E deluxe motherboard and I did NOT update the bios today or any other firmware)

help :tazz:

[edit: extra note] : Yes i plugged the keyboard and the mouse in the proper holes and I did not confuse them.

Edited by shadow_005, 02 August 2005 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
This is a tough problem to work with - not having a keyboard!

Also this seems to be haappening often - there are several posts with same symptoms- All with Win XP !? & PS2 Keyboard??

Did you get any updates just prior to problem? Maybe there is a new update that is compromizing PS2 Ports or drivers??? - Or a Virus??

I guess lets find out status of Mouse & Keyboard!!!??
Do you have a another computer that you can test them on??

Test them 1 at a time & then & then together as a pair.. Several times!!
>>>>>>>>>>>.
Try something. . .Go to Gibson Research Corporation web site

http://www.grc.com

Find & run Shields UP Test . . . .Run the 1056 Port test. . . . This will test your PC to see how secure it is on the internet.. The site will give the results. While you are there try: The "Messenger Test" Shoot it - if you need to: run Utility if is a problem..Post back results. . .

See if this brings in any more posts in . . . from those that have encountered this PS2 Keyboard . . .just recently....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Then maybe you should post on the Malware Forum?? Wait & see if MODERATOR steps in with suggestion
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Meantime GO Test PC out for Internet Security and I will try to compile some of these posts & review to see some common point.

Maybe the Moderator has a tool that can do this - - -

Jack123

shadow_005

shadow_005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate your help/post but,
no (" I did NOT update the bios today or any other firmware") I did not update any driver or something. And it is completely impossible for malware to cause this. Why? It happened with 3 brand new HD's that were never connected to the internet in their entire existense. Further more it started hapening before i even completed the windows installation. Plus it happens if i disconnect all HD's. It happens when I simply power on the PC. Oh, and I did not had the 'internet cable' connected to the PC during the whole Windows XP installation. So unless some kind of super virus located on the original windows xp cd that managed to corrupt/kill parts of my bios rom, my PC is clean.

The keyboard+mouse seem to work fine on any other PC. In any combination.

I also tried setting PS/2 mouse support to [enabled] instead of [auto] in the bios, it didnt help either.

i also read this post: http://www.geekstogo...ror-t48779.html

It seems that it wasn't resolved here either :tazz:

Edited by shadow_005, 03 August 2005 - 03:49 AM.

shadow_005

shadow_005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I found out what the problem was. The motherboard was broken :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Can we please have details:

1- Steps you took to decide on motherboard
2- What was final determining factor that pointed to motherboard
3- Is a hardware issue or software/support issue?
4- Is it a mechanical or electronic issue
5- Is it repairable
6- Is an update required
7- What is "Root Cause" of failure
8- What is your solution

There are others with Keyboard issues that would love to hear from you.

We all can learn from other people problems -

Jack123

shadow_005

shadow_005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
erm, I tested the RAM a couple of times with memtest, it was fine. I unplugged all pci cards/HD's/floppy/cd-rom you name it except the RAM. Then I booted. The PS2 Ports still didn't always respond. But they worked more often now and after booting a couple of times the PS2 ports started working everytime again. The more cards that i connected to the motherboard the more problems I got. Especially when connecting the RAID card (RAID 5). I slso received memory leak on occasion.

I also replaced pretyt much every hardware except the RAM and the motherboard since i didnt have spare ones for it. But there where always atleast minor problems.

So i went to a friend that is a 'professional' when it comes to hardware. After 3 hours of testing he told me that there was a huge chance that the motherboard was broken. Not 100% confirmed since it seems that it is kinda hard to tell wether a motherboard is really broken.

(sorry for any bad grammar)