Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

radeon fried?

• Please log in to reply

tigersvain

tigersvain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey i just got a ati radeon 9250 pci 128mb video card off ebay, finally got it in the mail and unistalled all my old drivers for my radeon 7000, and installed the 9250, but its not workin right, it has lil flickers on the screen, and if i try to run guild wars (the whole reason i bought the video card) the card goes nuts and blanks the screen out, or makes a bunch of green or blue lines everywhere, would this mean its fried? or driver complication? i'm not sure, fairly new to this stuff, anyways, if theres a program or way i can test to see if thats what it is, i'd be more then happy to know :tazz:, thnx everyone

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
It could be either fired or driver complication sure. But I am leaning towards drivers.

From gerryf:
Add/remove control panel
Search for driver/software packages, click remove
reboot into safe mode
Run DriverCleanerPro (available at driver heaven, http://www.drivercleaner.net/)
Start up, install drivers.
-----------------------------------------

But make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your video card. And if not the correct ones, then you will have this problem.

Peace,
Jared

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i uninstalled it using drivercleanerpro and did all those steps before, still does it, but the thing is when i got the vid card i didn't get the install cd along with it, so i just downloaded the lastest catalyst and drivers off the ati website and used those, is there something on the install cd i was suppose to have? or is it alright to just use the catalyst and control panel i dl off the ati website?

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
It should be okay, as long as they are the right drivers for your model. Here are the correct drivers for your model card, and see if they are the ones that you installed:

http://www.ati.com/p...lyst/index.html

The links should be the first 2 after you scroll down. Are those the ones you installed? Are you sure the ones were for XP?

Jared

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah those are the ones i used

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
What type of monitor do you have? What resolution and refresh rat edo you have it set to?

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
And this could be risky, but if all else fails, could you try these drivers perhaps:?

http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=865

Jared

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have samtron 76v montior, i usually keep it on 1024 X 768 and at 75 mhz

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i just tryed those other drivers too and it still did it :S dunno whats going on

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Did you originally have Integrated Graphics on your computer (I mean, not currently in use, but do you have it at all?) Because if you do, when you took out your old video card, you rcomputer may automatically have reverted to onboard (or integrated) graphics. And then when you installed the new one, you may have both the integrated and ATI drivers installed at the same time causing a conflict. Under device manager, assuming that you have integrated graphics, are the integrated ones disabled?

Peace,
Jared

Advertisements

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah i had integrated graphics originally, but i made sure that it was disabled after i installed the vid card

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
is the graphics card in properly. i had that color display thing when it wasn't in right.

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i do believe so, it just pushes in the pci slot does it not, lol, and i'v tryed to multiply times, reinstalling it and so on, i probably would have had it in right one of the times

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
another thing you might want to check is if the card is an oem card from lets say dell or something....usually you have to installl the drivers provided by dell...I had this problem with my nvidia card on my laptop, if i installed the nvidia drivers from nvidia, I would have problems, however if i installed the dell provided drivers (from dell website) the card worked fine....just a thought...good luck

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I tryed lookin for ati radeon 9250 driver for my intel celeron 1.oghz but i couldn't find anything :tazz: