Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a spot of help!

• Please log in to reply

Sinneth

Sinneth

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, about a month ago, I've started having tons of pop-ups. If I were to log on and walk away from my computer, I'd return with at least 20 adds in a bundle. I thought I handled this problem when I downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware. A friend of mine sent me a few programs called Window Washer, RegVac, and also had me download MacAfee virus protection and Prevx Home. My computer was good and stable up until I ran those programs.

As of a few days, My computer would load, the programs would run, and then everything will seem fine, but then when I started a program, it would stall, finally load, and after a few minutes of working, my screen would blink, my taskbar would flash and turn from the XP Blue into an almost...pale peach color, then my computer would shut off. I'd have to sit through this, and the long load at least three times before my computer would finally stay on completely. I've done at least 2 system restores to still have this problem, run the programs, thinking everything is fine and dandy, but to no avail, its still there. I even tried to stop a few programs from running by using msconfig, but then I'd get new programs added to my running processes list. Also I've found an abundance of rundll32.exe in that list, and I usually would have to kill that to even get a slight response out of my computer. Any ideas? (i refuse to reinstall windows XP -mainly because I lost the disks- hehe and I have tons of programs that I'd hate to lose. Yeah, im an Everquest addict.) Please help!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I even tried to stop a few programs from running by using msconfig, but then I'd get new programs added to my running processes list. Also I've found an abundance of rundll32.exe in that list, and I usually would have to kill that to even get a slight response out of my computer. Any ideas?

You probably still have spyware on your computer. Please go Here and run though the processes listed. Then post in the Malware forum. It will take some time to do the processes, but there's really nothing else to do until your machine is clean.

makai

Sinneth

Sinneth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I followed the steps, and I'll start posting my logs in the neccessary forum! Thank you for the speedy reply! I really appreciate it!