Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which graphics card to buy

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
been slowly upgrading my computer over the last 6 months or so and as i have just got a spanking new 18" lcd monitor, decided it was time to get some better graphics on the go. Been looking around, and to be honest, am a bit frightened to go out and buy one in case it is not compatible with my computer.
What is APG, and ISA. what is an express video card ????/
Before anyone asks, no , i am not going to be playing computer games, however i want to upgrade to something that has a dvi slot, and is also very good at playing dvds, as this will be mainly why i need it.
i have a spare slot on my computer, so fitting it in wont be a problem, but where would it connect to inside. the graphics on the computer is built in,,,,,, is this a compatibility problem already ?? i know that when i upgraded my sound card , it just turned off the on board sound card and installed itself as the default soundcard, but i have a suspision that graphics cards are a different kettle of fish.
Any advice would be appreciated, as i am very confused by this topic.
many, many thanks to you all. cheers.
kev.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Removed -- spam!

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well it doesnt seem like u know this or not, but do u have an agp or pci-express slot. if not, you will have to do with a pci slot. first find this out. and if u have agp, then u need to look at the voltage. i dont know much about agp, so some1 else will have to clue u in on dat.

head75jh75

head75jh75

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

well it doesnt seem like u know this or not, but do u have an agp or pci-express slot.  if not, you will have to do with a pci slot.  first find this out.  and if u have agp, then u need to look at the voltage.  i dont know much about agp, so some1 else will have to clue u in on dat.

View Post

I dont no much bout computers. but are you saying u can use a pci slot for a graphics card??

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Of course you can use PCI for Graphics. When PCI was introduced with the original Intel Pentiums and high end 486s it was the most commonly used port for graphics cards (imagine 2-4MB PCI video cards) and everything else. AGP came around in 1997 and was the first dedicated Graphics port (Graphics only). However AGP motherboards come with numerous PCI ports. PCI Express is a more general port then AGP (you can use it for other things like sound and network cards). As in you can use other cards but it allows for much more bandwidth and future Video Cards will only run at their full potential on PCI Express. Today however it is getting harder and harder to find older PCI Video Cards but if you look around you can find some, they will be slower then their AGP and PCI Express counterparts but if that is all you have, they are better then nothing.

Edited by GeneralAres, 02 August 2005 - 09:25 PM.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
a great place for pci cards is ebay and newegg with their search and filters.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I dont know if this helps, but I got Gecube Radeon x700PRO 128mb 864MHz, I use mine for games, so it works pretty good and Can play most of the latest games(Well, thatz what the dealer said!!)I mean it works quite good with games, so since it works good with games I beleive it should not be a problem with everday life computer use!
Hope This Helps!
Regards RockyIV

Edited by RockyIV, 04 August 2005 - 01:04 AM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES:
WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON WHEN I GET ONE.
MANY THANKS, KEV.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
help us help you and post your computer specifications

you mentioned that you have been upgrading the pc over the 6 months, what have you upgraded and what was it before you made the upgrades?

recommendation, don't go pci, go agp or pci-express, you just want to watch dvd's then i would go agp fi you can

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES:
WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON WHEN I GET ONE.
MANY THANKS, KEV.

:tazz: no one has been able to make any accurate suggestions because you never gave your system specs.

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Sorry, thaught i had already posted the specs.
Its a mesh tower from about 2001. after upgrading it , here is the spec.
1.4, ghz pen 4 cpu.
796 mb, rambus memory.
audigy zx 2 soundcard.
firewire & usb 2, extra ports.
logitech wireless keyboard & mouse.
logitech x 530 6:1 speakers.
running on xp pro.
sp2.
cheers, kev

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
just curious how much have you spent upgrading so far?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Couple hundred quid i would say.
soundcard £60
memory--2 x 256mb ram, £70
,,,,,,,,,,,,--2 x 128mb ram £40, got £20 back for selling the 2 x 64mb that was in it to start off with.
speakers were £40 off ebay.
usb & firewire ports £12 off ebay,
2 x extra fans £8, off ebay.
cordless mouse & keyboard were a present , but cost £70.
sold the speakers that were with it for £10, and the keyboard and mouse for £12.
I was just going to get something newer, but i got the computer for £ 50 off a freind ,and before i knew it, i had spent on the memory and decided just to stick with what i know.
kev.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why did you spend so much money on a decent sound card when the rest of the pc is so bad.

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Im sorry mate but you should have gotten a new pc...seems to me like you spent too much money on a machine that's 4 yrs old...that's not counting the video card you wanna get... :tazz: