Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which graphics card to buy

• Please log in to reply

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Besides DVD's do you want to play any games? And what Video Card do you have in their now?

Advertisements

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i have to agree with others, you should of just bought a new system.

what video card slot do you have? pci/agp? what speed agp?4x or 8x?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
HI ALL,
Some of us dont have the money to go out and purchase a new computer. The one i have only cost £50 from a mate who emigrated. I have a family to support, and therefore dont have money to buy a new computer. The best i could afford to do was buy something new each month or two, that would do something for the computers performance, and so far i am pleased with what i have done, considering i aint touched a computer before december last year, i feel quite proud with what i have acheived.
All i wanted was advice on what sort of graphics card to buy, if i wanted to watch dvds on my new lcd monitor.
i dont know what motherboard i have apart from its a pent 4, i.4 ghz. the 768 mb mem i have is more than sufficient for my needs. the 120 gb, and 80 gb hdds are more than enough for me. the soundcard is great, and works well with the speakers. the monitor is great and saves space. i dont need a high end , top spec computer, why would i ??
Just becouse some of you feel i have wasted my money, or some of you think my computer is BAD, doesnt mean that i am not happy with what i have.
thanks for all the wonderful advi from those that dont have hang ups about other peoples computers not being as good as theirs.
cheers.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well run cpu z and tell us what it says your graphical interface is. Well if you are upgrading bit by bit after you get a new gfx card you might try and get a better cpu if its 4 years old it will be an old socket and you should be able to pick up a faster cpu cheaply. Cpu z will tell you everything you need to know about the pc for upgrading purposes. If it was 50 quid then it isnt half bad.
My only mention was that you spent alot of money on a sound card for an top end system and put in a old pc bit of a waste but its your money.
If you are stuck with pci then you should get something along the fx5200 lines or 9250, if you have a agp socket you have more options though and could get a better card for your money. http://www.overclock...200_Series.html , http://www.overclock.../FX_Series.html.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey just to add to warrior scot

Dont get the 9250, get a cheap Nvidia card.

I got a 9250 and it was possibly the worst thing i ever bought, it is unreliable and the FX card will allow you to run some decent games with the proc you have.

Dave

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks all,
will try and find out what the motherboard is,then might have a better idea what i need to buy. i would presume it is an AGP on mine. presuming cos, i thought most computers in the last 6 years or so were all kitted with AGP, ( wasnt it introduced in 97) Would buying a faster cpu be the next thing to look for, rather than a better graphics card ? Can i buy a faster cpu, and use it with the motherboard i already have ??????? is it difficult to upgrade a cpu ????
Buying a better motherboard is an option i have considered a few times, but then i would have to go out and replace the memory cards that i already have, making it a very costly project, that i wont be able to afford.
SO,,,,, how do i find out , summising that mine is AGP, if it is worth upgrading or not.
thanks for being patient with me, but i am not very familiar with all the different terminology being used in the replys.

my computer tells me that the graphics i have are NVIDEA G FORCE 2 100/200.
I hope that enlightens someone.
MANY THANKS TO EVERYBODY, CHEERS, KEV.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
HI,
Thanks for the tip on running CPU Z, i have found out a bit more about the spec that will be able to help find out what sort of graphics card is suited to my computer. IT TELLS ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

board is----------------- american megatrends, version 62710, 20/03/2001
memory is--------------rd ram ( now has 768mb)
cpu is-------------------intel pentium 4,willarnette, pga-423
graphical interface is---AGP version 2, 4x, 64 mb.

Do i need any more info, or is this sufficient to help those in the know ????
Hope this helps,
many thanks to all who have helped me with this, your help is very much needed, and very much appreciated. cheers,
kev.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well that basically just tells us you have 4x slot which isnt the best news for you, if you ever get a decent card that pc will bottleneck it with only the 4x slot, most agp are 8x. Yeah i only mention the 9250 as its what alot of people in that situation get i must say when i was in the same situation i got a fx5200 myself and never regreted it anything that plays half life 2 is ok in my book. I would imagine that you could find a bigger cpu as long as it is supported by your bios. But beyond that you are best just saving up and building yourself a new pc from scratch next time. You can build a new pc similar to mine for 600 quid if you allready have the monitor. i was pretty muh 700 without the monitor and the new dvd ram drive.

I dont mind PMs by thew way its just best to keep it on the forum where possible so other people can read it and possibly find an aswer to there prob, but anything particular just pm me.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
many thanks to all,
Been looking on ebay,,,,,,,,,,,,,are any of these cards going to be compatible with my comp, and more importantly, are any of them any good ????????
Been looking at--------

RADEON 9550 256MB
GEFORCE FX5200 256 MB
GEFORCE FX 5500 256 MB
GEFORCE FX 5600 256 MB

I know that some of them are agp 8x/4x compatible so they will be ok ( i think )
Does any one have any horror stories or reccomendations ?????
cheers, kev.