Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

inadequate o/s for battlefeild 2

• Please log in to reply

HAHAURDEAD

HAHAURDEAD

• Pip
  • 4 posts
when i log on to a ranked server i play for 3 seconds and then i get a messege say inadequate os preveleges and kicks me from the room :tazz: .i tried everything plz help ;)

Edited by HAHAURDEAD, 03 August 2005 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
most of these errors are cause by you not being logged into the system as an admin.

HAHAURDEAD

HAHAURDEAD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i have tried logging in as the root admin and it still didn't work

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I have not been able to verify this file or this fix. use at your own risk. if it works let us know.

PunkBusters Update Error Fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the new update to PB, I've had some people kicked off the server for the following error "(o minites) restriction inadiquite O/S privlagies". This is the response received back from PB on the fix.

The latest PB client versions require the user to have administrator access or the equivalent security settings.

From our FAQ:

Why does PunkBuster now require players to run the game as an administrator under WinXP/2K?

Because some cheats/hacks cannot be detected otherwise.

Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective in XP Professional?

Yes. This can be accomplished by setting certain privileges for the user that will run the game. To do this, first temporarily log in as an Administrator. Then go to Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy. This will open up the Local Security setting window. Expand the Local Policies folder and select User Rights Assignment. This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer. You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges. If the user is logged while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect.

Debug Programs
Load and unload device drivers
Manage auditing and security log
Modify Firmware environment values
Profile Single Process

This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" button. You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list. If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked. Then click OK. Click on the "Find Now" button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system. Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click "OK". Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window. Repeat this process for the rest of the list. That user will now be able to play on PB servers without getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges".

Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective in XP Home?

We have method now to fix the user rights issues in XP Home O/S systems. I will try to explain what this is doing, and make a step by step walkthrough. More advanced users may see how to modify this method, and I will make some notes on ways to expand this option.

To use this solution, Create a new Administrator Account or a Limited Account WITH A PASSWORD by opening the Control Panels => User Accounts:

1) Log into the computer using a user with Admin rights. Or as the Administrator by rebooting the computer and hitting the F8 key at the beginning on the windows startup screen and going into Safe Mode.

2) Download PsBNTRights.exe self extracting archive that contains the NTRights.exe and the following batch file:

CODE

ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeDebugPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeLoadDriverPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSecurityPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege
pause

http://www.evenbalan.../PBNTRights.exe

3. When you run the exe it will prompt you for the path to extract (default = c:\NTRights\

4. Right click the NTRights.cmd and select Edit, replace "Tester" with the name of your user account the you created.

5. Save and run the NTRights.cmd by double clicking on it

6. Click on the game EXE, and choose "Run as...", enter your limited user and the password and check if you can play that now. (note: You need the original game EXE, not a desktop shortcut. If you right click a shortcut and select properties, then click on the "Find Target" button, that will take you to the game EXE.)

Advanced - Scattered reports that this works for some, test it if you want, it will not hard your computer, but may not work.

1) If you have a single user with admin rights, edit the user to create a password in the Control Panel => User Accounts wizard if you do not have one already.

2) Download PsBNTRights.exe self extracting archive that contains the NTRights.exe and the following batch file:

CODE

ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeDebugPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeLoadDriverPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSecurityPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege
pause

http://www.evenbalan.../PBNTRights.exe

3. When you run the exe it will prompt you for the path to extract (default = c:\NTRights\

4. Right click the NTRights.cmd and select Edit, replace "Tester" with the name of your user account and save the changes.

5. Turn off all Anti-Virus Programs and Internet Security Programs, they may prevent the rights from being set.

6. Run the NTRights.cmd by double clicking on it

6. Log out and back in on your user. Now try to play on a PB server. If this works, it's a permanent solution.

pulled from http://www.fpsadmin....read.php?t=2309

HAHAURDEAD

HAHAURDEAD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i cant get the debug one to stay on plz help

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go to start, then run and type in cmd.

in the dos box that appears just follow the instuctions listed above. that should allow you to see any messages that appear.

HAHAURDEAD

HAHAURDEAD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: i cant get the debug programs to stay on in the local security setting

JDLT

JDLT

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ugh...first my old games like C C Generals won't work on Vista now the newer ones won't either. For some bizarre reason Tropico (2001) works fine. Anyway I'm using a VIAO Notebook and I am the Administrator, yet I still can't get BF2 to work. All the suggestions i've found have something to do with switching over to an Administrator account. Any help?!? Can u deinstall PunkBuster yet still play on ranked servers?

gloawyn

gloawyn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Simply right click on your game shortcut and select "Run as administrator" and you will be prompted to allow the game to run in this mode. Vista is a security freak!

Even if you have an administrator account some actions requires you to "elevate" yourself to have privileged access to system files, registry, etc...