Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AGP not detected so can't install Drivers

• Please log in to reply

imcharles922

imcharles922

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've recently installed a new Gigabyte 7vm-400M motherboard and finally gotten windows to boot up. My problem is that I can't get my AGP to work I have an ATI 9600 Card in my AGP slot. If I plug the monitor in, the screen stays black and nothing happens. Luckily the motherboard has onboard VGA so I have that plugged in now and it works fine. When I goto device manager I see the driver for the onboard VGA, but nothing for an AGP slot. I'm thinking somehow it's just not detecting it? If that makes any sense. Any advice is much appreciated. I'm running Windows XP Home on a AMD Athalon 2700.

Also.. I get the following error when I try to install ATI Drivers "Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

Edited by imcharles922, 03 August 2005 - 06:03 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You need to get into the bios setup and enable the agp video, and disable the on board video. I have two computers with Gigabyte motherboards and on these, to access the bios I press the delete key during boot up. I suspect the same is true on yours. Once you have done that, save changes and exit bios. Make sure you move your monitor connection to the agp card, then boot up. It should find the card and then you can install the drivers....

imcharles

imcharles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the tip. I had read something about that while googling for answers. However, when I enter my BIOS after rebooting I don't see the option to enable/disable onboard VGA. There's options for onboard lan, onboard midi, but nothing about VGA. Could it be called something else? Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place... :tazz:

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Make sure the card is seated good in the AGP slot.

also there should be a first boot PCI/AGP...make sure its set to AGP

imcharles922

imcharles922

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
card is definitely snapped in and seated, but the device manager isn't showing anything but my onboard vga. Also, i still cant find where to enable/disable this. I got into the BIOS setup fine. There's a menu for onboard peripherals but no VGA there. I searched Gigabyte's site, but can't seem to find any help.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
it may be listed under "chipset" or "advanced" in your bios
just skim thru the tabs and it should be there somewhere. also if you can, verify that your 9600 is functioning properly by testing it on another computer just in case that would be cool

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
dont bother looking at the device manager as the agp card will not be reflected there unless you active it thru bios.

do as the others stated and go into bios, more then likely you will not see anything in regard to the vide/agp slot on the main screen, you will need to go into them one by one and look at the description or follow direction in the legend box, don't be afraid to press enter on a highlighted item it will show you the available options if any.

if you bought the motherboard seperatly then read the booklet that came with it, if anything it should at least show a listing of the bios screen and a description of all the options there, read it and i bet you will find it :tazz:

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Imcharles,

I am trying to get a clear picture of what has been done so far but the reference to the device manager throws me off. The device manager reflects the hardware that has been automatically detected by the software, or manually installed by additional software.

Theoretically then, the software has to have (gulp) the knowledge of what it is looking at to determine how to react. When that knowledge is not available through software, the system does not recognize that particular piece of hardware.

So we need to update the knowledge base, in this case, the software. Essentially we are 'learning' the system that it now has access to another option.

At this point, I am hoping I don't take a step back, but it appears we need to enter setup at boot to see if our system 'knows' about the AGP slot. (The screen should tell which key to press, normally F1, or F2, or DEL.)

Once there, look for a menus called Advanced. Click it.
Scroll through items listed as video (or VGA).
Scroll to it. And highlight it.

Now we should be able to use the pageup/pagedown keys to go through the options. For example ONBOARD, or PCI, or AGP.

If we see ONBOARD and PCI but not AGP we need to run the setup disk that came with the motherboard to update the software so that it can detect and install the AGP card. The computer now knows an AGP card exists.

In addition we might also need to run the setup disk for the video card.

I hope this helps. And again I apologize if I seem to be going back, but think by doing so we can discover a solution.

G :tazz:

imcharles

imcharles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks everyone for being so helpful up to this point. I'm trying to locate my motherboard installer cd. I'll probably end up checking gigabyte's website for the software if I can't find the cd.

I don't kow if this helps, but when I press delete and enter my CMOS Setup Utility, this is what I get:

Standard CMOS Features
- Date
- Time
- IDE Primary Master - Maxtor 6Y080L0
- IDE Primary Slave - None
- IDE Secondary Master - ATAPI 40X CDROM
- IDE Secondary Slave - Creative CD-RW RW422
- Drive A - 1.44, 3.5"
- Drive B None
- Floppy 3 Mode Support - Disabled
- Halt On - All, But Keyboard
- Base Memory 640k
- Extended Memory 991M
- Total Memory 992M

Advanced BIOS Features
- First Boot Device - Floppy
- Second Boot Device - HDD-0
- Third Boot Device - CDrOM
- Password Check - Setup

Integrated Peripherals
- OnChip IDE Channel0 - Enabled
- OnChip IDE Channel1 - Enabled
- AC97 Audio - Enabled
- VIA Onboard LAN - Enabled
- USB 1.1 Controller - Enabled
- USB 2.0 Controller - Enabled
- USB Keyboard Support - Disabled
- USB Mouse Support - Disabled
- On-Chip LAN Boot ROM - Disabled
- Onboard Serial Port 1 - 3F8/IRQ4
- Onboard Serial Port 2 - 2F8/IRQ3
- Onboard Parallel Port - 378/IRQ7
- Parallel Port Mode - SPP
- Game Port Address - 201
- Midi Port Address - Disabled
- Midi Port IRQ - 10

PnP/PCI Configurations
- PCI1 IRQ Assignment - Auto
- PCI2 IRQ Assignment - Auto
- PCI3 IRQ Assignment - Auto

No mention of Onboard Video or VGA in any of that I think... Maybe I need to update the BIOS? But this is the latest GIGABYTE version. :tazz:

imcharles922

imcharles922

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's an update. I finally got a reply from GIGABYTE tech support. If you press CTRL - F1 at the CMOS Setup you get Advanced Chipset Setup. The VGA option is in there. However, my Video Initial Options are : Onboard/AGP or PCI

I've tried booting with both and the ATI card doesn't work on either. I tried putting an older NVIDIA card in and that wouldn't show either...

Advertisements

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Good incharles!

That helps kaboodles!

We are on the right track here.....so check here:

http://www.giga-byte...GA-7VM400M.htm#

Check the BIOS page where all the updates are reay for download.
Your VGA driver will be under the last item under the driver section.

Let me know what happens!

Edited by garyo1954, 04 August 2005 - 08:01 PM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Just caught up with your last posting. I guess we were tripping over each other here.

Apparently this board has an onboard AGP as well as he AGP slot.

Did you ask tech support if there was a way to enable the AGP slot through jumpers?

imcharles

imcharles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All drivers, etc. are updated from that link thanks!

Here's where I'm at. The ATI card isn't working at all. I figured, what harm could it do to try my old NVIDIA Mx440 again? And out of nowhere it worked! So apparently it has to be something to do with that ATI card. Or how the ATI card works with the new gigabyte board... I can't figure out why one card would work and the other wouldn't. As soon as I put that nvidia card in, "Add New Hardware" popped up on the boot and installed the card no problem.

Of course, that card is old and more or less usless to me now. Not to mention I dropped the $$$ on an ATI 9600. So I still want to get that working. I'm not sure where to go from here. Could it be that my powersupply isn't good enough for the ATI card? I have a 350W. Before I installed the new motherboard, I had used this ATI card/PSU combo for about a month and it worked ok. Don't know what else it could be, maybe the card's just busted?

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
imcharles,

Thanks you too! I am glad we got it running but wish it could have been the ATI 9600.

I haven't found any mention of compatibility issues between the card and board.
But that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Way to go!

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
try testing the ati card on another computer and see if it works.

unless you're computer is loaded with hardware and cooling peripherals your 350psu should be sufficient enough for the given gfx card. test it on another computer and hope that you can at least get it to run on its default drivers.
if that comp doesnt boot your gfx card; well then thats 2 for 2 and yea. not so good news.