Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I remove MSN Gaming Zone for good?

• Please log in to reply

Stryker06

Stryker06

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, this method did the trick. There are no more games in the games folder in the Start menu.

Also, the dll's and .exe's in the dllcache folder did not appear again after a reboot. So they really are deleted. That's great.

However, the least bother, but the empty windows folder in the MSN Gaming folder is still there and I still can't seem to delete it.

I am Admin and have ownership/permissions etc etc

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Advertisements

Phoenix_Divine

Phoenix_Divine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have the same problem that is what I have been trying to get rid of. That stupid folder just sitting there. What the...?

Flemur13013

Flemur13013

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I managed to remove "Program files\MSN Gaming Zone"
as well as "Program Files\xerox" and keep them removed.

Here's how:

1 - Boot in Safe Mode and delete the folders.

2 - While in Safe Mode, start Notepad (or Wordpad, etc).

3 - I enter this text in the file: "This file is to prevent Winos from re-creating
a directory with the same file name."

4 - Save the file as "MSN Gaming Zone"
(if an extension got stuck on, remove it).

5 - Change the permissions on "MSN Gaming Zone" to "Read Only."
(It can be tricky to get at the "OK" button in Safe Mode!)

6 - Reboot normally.

Now you'll have a regular read-only file named "MSN Gaming Zone,"
which isn't perfect, but it's better than having the directory.

I used the same method to remove "NetMeeting," "Frontpage,"
"Outlook Express," "Windows Media Player" and some other garbage.

NOTE: doing this *didn't* work:
go to control panel->add /remove programs->add/remove windows components
click accesories and utilties-> details->games->details->uncheck internet games...
(It only removed the content of "MSN Gaming\Windows" and left the directories;
you can do the same thing much easier with a normal delete.)

Good Luck
Mr. F.

LookinAround

LookinAround

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Saying "not that complicated" isn't really the issue. More a matter of "sneaky" for MS to put the game stuff under Accessories when it comes time to remove it yet (at least on my machine) it's a top level menu item under Start->All Programs and NOT Start->All Programs->Accessories. Cause when you first look at Add/Remove Windows Components you don't see it there either (till you drill down under Accessories)

Plus, why is it that all the Knowledge Base articles seem to no longer be in the MS Database?

In any case, yes, Accomplish the task via Control Panel

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs
2. then select Add/Remove Windows components
3. Highlight Accessories and click Details (what a sneaky move here!)
4. Uncheck Games and then only thing left is click Next to recongigure

And then the darn thing should finally be removed from your machine (though you might still need to delete the programs menu entry yourself.

Tng

Tng

• Pip
  • 1 posts
the folders are still there, empty, and wont delete

Edited by Tng, 23 July 2007 - 10:47 AM.

GirlGeekInNV

GirlGeekInNV

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Getting rid of MSN GAME ZONE is easy. AND YES IT CAN BE REMOVED. The "On/Off switch" is pretty well hidden and is not simply located in the add/remove programs list - at least not on Windows XP Home Edition.

To remove MSN Gaming Zone Games:

Under Start, go to Settings and Control Panel or locate your Control Panel. Click onto "Add/Remove Programs." To the far left margin of the new open window you will see "Add/Remove Window Components." Click onto this.

The window titled "Windows Components Wizard" will open. At the top of the list you will see a folder titled "Accessories and Utilities." Click onto it. When it opens you will see a folder titled "Accessories" and one that is titled "Games." Voila you have found it. :) Click onto the "Games" folder - you will see all games listed within. PUT A CHECKMARK ONLY BY THE GAMES YOU WISH TO KEEP. If you want to delete ALL of the games then UNCHECK all of the boxes. Click OK[/size].

If you elected to keep even one game then the Games folder checkmark box will remain checked. If you elected to rid your computer of all these pesky game files then the Games Folder should now be UNCHECKED. If it is unchecked ALL GAMES AND FILES WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE REMOVED. It may or may not ask you to reboot your computer. But once this is done, all of the MSN Game Zone files are GONE!

NOTE: (Please do not uncheck any other boxes for any other programs that you see listed. Unchecking them will remove them from your computer and then you will have to go through the process of rechecking them to add them back to your computer.)

Configuring will be activated and then the Windows Component Wizard window will pop up titled "Completing the Windows Component Wizard." Click NEXT

You are now set. Click Ok. And then click FINISH on the Windows Component Wizard Window.
Even though this is a response to an older posting, maybe it'll help people who still need it.

:)

AndrewMiller34

AndrewMiller34

• Pip
  • 1 posts
GirlGeek,

You are absolutely correct that this is the proper way to go about deleting the files off of your system. There are just a few things that I want to mention. I am currently having the same problem that this thread was initially posted to solve.

It isn't deleting the files off of the system that is the problem, most people know that you just need to delete the windows components from your add/remove list. The problem is that the directory, "msn gaming zone" (and others for that matter), cannot be deleted easily.

Even after uninstalling the games, the directories still exist and cannot be deleted because the OS claims that they are in use. Clearly there are no files in the directory being used since it doesn't contain any files (nor hidden files).

One person suggested downloading a program (Unlock, or something like that), but I feel that it is foolish to install software to try and delete another!

The real question is, "Does anyone know what the OS is doing with this folder?" If someone could explain that, then I think that we will be one step closer to understanding how to rid the OS of these USELESS directories in the program folder.

When I install my software, I always install my programs into a different directory that the default "Program Files," simply to just keep an eye one what is being magically thrown into that folder. It is quite amazing at how many directories are established in that folder without permission! What a pain!

Sorry about this post because I really do not pose any real answers, I merely just wanted to put my two cents out there to see if we can get the thread going again.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
'Unlocker' is a handy programme to have, very useful. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Nei1

Nei1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Unlocker worked great. It was also free.

I think this is what I did... First, I opened Unlocker. Then, I went back to Windows Explorer and tried to delete the offending folder. Then, Unlocker popped up with a simple interface.

I clicked "Unlock." Something happened, I don't remember. Then I went back to Windows Explorer and tried to delete again, but this time it worked.

Something like that. It was easy, I remember that.

I've had similar problems with Xp..., nice to finally have the right tool for the job.

Oh yeh. Then I paypalled a little cash to the author.

tohagan

tohagan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

did any of you wonder why windows doesn;t let you delete it?
because it's a windows component and unlike the previous versions XP desn't let you to delete itself...

go to control panel->add /remove programs->add/remove windows components
click accesories and utilties-> details->games->details->uncheck internet games...

not that complicated...

What an a-hole. I am sorry we are not as smart as you. We are all very stupid since we had to ask for help.

Advertisements