Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive failure

• Please log in to reply

Hues

Hues

• Pip
  • 1 posts
All the events that happened.

My desktop had a broken mouse. It would freeze and then make beeping noises (from the computer) at random times.
I took the mouse and connected it to my laptop. Same problem.

So I went out and bought a new mouse. I connected the new mouse to my laptop (just because it didn't have a mouse) and started using it. Everything worked fine... for a while. The laptop began slowing down, massively, something which I've never encountered before. Afraid, I shut the laptop down. When I restarted the laptop, it said something about not being able to read from the harddrive. Then took me to a BSOD talking about physical memory error and it being loaded to the harddrive or something similar to that.

After doing various button pressing and whatnot I just restart the computer again. Same error.

So, no biggie, I thought. It should work fine in the morning. O_O
I go to sleep and start it up in the morning. Now it gives me the choice of whether I want to start in Safe mode, command, last best configuration, etc. I start in last configuration. The loading goes normally, you know, to the Windows XP logo with the little loading bar underneath it. Then the bar freezes stops and the system just hangs, however the harddrive busy light is on. It just freezes. I restart and start in safe mode this time around.
It just restarts without any input.

After that it just says that it cannot load from the harddrive and that I should ctrl+alt+del to restart the computer. After several restarts I get angry and just put in the XP startup disc. It took me some tries to delete the partition. Many of the attempts telling me that I could not access the harddrive. Though it clearly shows up as my 38146 megabyte C: harddrive.

Now I have a "Partition1 [Unknown]" partition on it. I cannot do a NTFS format on it. Whenever I try a "pagefault" BSOD shows up.

Also, it says the drive is drive 0 at Id 0 on atapi [MBR] if that means anything at all.

--------------------------------------

One last thing, my laptop is a HP Pavilion ze5600 series.
192 mb of ram
2.4 ghz celeron processor
with a formerly working 40 gb harddrive

If there is no fix for the broken harddrive, would installing a new harddrive fix it?

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Removed -- spam!