Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply

ccAero

ccAero

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have searched and I have really found what I was looking for. ;)

I would like a step by step guide to reformat my new Dell Xps Gen 2. I thought I killed all of the dell crap, but i guess I didn't. I am currently running 50+ processes in idle and I would like to reformat. I have some computer experience and I would feel confortable following someone else's instructions.

Secondly, when installing drivers, do I have to install the new driver via the Device Manager, or will windows automatically detect the hardware and install drivers. Can I download the drivers onto a 40gb mp3 player and use it as a external HDD, or would it be best to durn the drivers onto a cd? :tazz:

Any help is appreciated, especially from other dell/xps2 users. :)

Thanks again

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ahead of clearing the drive, you can click start then run, type msconfig then press enter then start up, remove ticks from programmes you do not need to run at start up, they will then only run when you manually start them.

You need to reboot after changes to start up, when it gets back to the desktop, tick, do not start the config utility when Windows starts.

Make sure you leave the firewall and anti virus running. If you remove a tick and it affects the running of the PC, replace the tick.

If you clear the drive then load the programmes you presently have, you will get the same number of running processes, msconfig / start up is a better way at the moment

Edited by Keith, 03 August 2005 - 12:34 AM.

ccAero

ccAero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok thanks, Ill give it a try :tazz: