Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

My PC won't start!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm a newbie, from Doncaster UK.

I have a Carrera desktop system, new in Nov 2004. From memory specs are;

Intel 4 3.2
128mb ddr ram
Nvidia graphics card
Sorry I can't give any more detailed info than that, but my PC won't start!

For a while now I've had a noisy fan, and when I used the cpu temp utility it returned a reading of 99C! (I've been told a temp this high is unlikely).

I was having some start up problems, sometimes I would have to restart after getting the blue screen of death (can't remember the err msg). Now the [bleep] thing won't start at all.

Power is okay, it goes thro' the beginning of start-up, says something like "checking memory press esc to stop" (the same end result happens regardless of whether I wait for memory check or esc out of it) it then scrolls thro' stuff until it gets to something like "verifying DMI pool data" then cuts power and dies. I don't get the chance to start in safe mode or any of that good stuff.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Martin :tazz:

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Although it is unlikely that your temp is 99C, perhaps it is still overheating. After you turn on your machine, try to get into BIOS (usually by hitting 'delete' or 'F5' or something). There is a setting that lets you see your CPU temp, Chassis temp, fan speeds, etc. Does this also read 99C?

WARNING: Look, but don't touch. If you change anything in BIOS that you don't know about, you could make things worse