Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Messenger cannot exit, in use by other prog?

• Please log in to reply

PinkSockPrincess

PinkSockPrincess

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've been having with MSMessenger. I had it set up to auto sign me in once I was connected to the interenet. I started to receive messages that I was signed in at another location. This is the only computer I use this program on. So for security reasons I changed my password. I was no longer receiving these messages. But now if I try to exit the program (auto in tray on startup) it gives me the following error message:

"There are other applications currently using features provided by Windows Messenger. You must close these other applications before you can exit Windows Messenger. These applications may include Outlook, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, and Internet Explorer."

It is giving me this message before I am even connected to the internet and I do not use Outloo k, or Outlook Express at all. The only way I have found to exit the program is to end the process in the task manager. Is this the result of a virus/etc? I do have the latest updates from Microsoft downloaded as of yesterday as well so I'm not sure what's going on??? I already worked with greyknight17 on all of my malware, spyeare,adware issues, and he said my HTJ log was clean, so it doesn't 'appear' to be a virus issue. Please help!! :tazz:

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it was giving you the "logged in somewhere else" issue probably because you still have windows messenger installed and set to auto connect....the both use the same account...if you uninstall windows messenger you won't have that problem any more....and msn messenger is connected to almost every windows communication program possible...it's a pain in the behind....try logging out then closing it

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:06 PM.