Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP & 2000 Server issues on Domain. Real bad!

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
oh crap...i wish you would have mentioned the power chute.....yeah the java that it runs went out of range

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:05 PM.

Advertisements

Gargoyle357

Gargoyle357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yeah, never once occured to me to mention it. Who would have thought THAT of all things could cause all these problems.

We still have a hacker knocking on our door, but he didn't get in and cause chaos.
APC took care of that part for us. :tazz:

Thanks for your help with my wild goose chase.

Luap

Luap

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OMG I am having the exact same problem, even stuck on 7/27 virus defs.
Can't apply patches or updates and can't go to windowsupdate. IE just freezes, although task manager says it is still running even after 15 minutes. SAV says autoprotect is disabled. This is my mail server. It's still running ok but I know something is going on in the background that I can't find. I was able to apply the zobot patch (ms kb899588) by downloading it first and then booting up in safe mode and applying it. I've reinstalled IE6 and tried to reapply sp4 but it gets to "inspecting configuration" and freezes.

OK guys and girls, something is going on here. I need help please, I'm stumped on this one.

Luap

Luap

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OK I should have read to the end of the thread. I too have APC powershit and am now going to concentrate on that area.

Thanks all !!!

Luap

Luap

• Pip
  • 4 posts
applied the powerchute 7 upgrade in safe mode and now everything is wonderful again.

Whoever nailed that one......T H A N K Y O U !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

vt-Rich

vt-Rich

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just as an FYI, prisoner.iana.org is a blackhole and part of the big IANA system. The error message relates to system either 1) not having a reverse lookup in your w2k\w2k3 DNS box or 2) netbios over tcp/ip disabled - it kinda depends on what you've setup and how

here's one link:
http://www.jsifaq.co...5600/rh5612.htm
and another:
http://forum.adiscon.../topic,254.html

When I first fouind it I was worried about a server being zombie or a bot, but no, just a poor configuration by someone else.

Rich.

HEY! I think this posted to the wrong place. Just ignore it - I don't see anyway to delete this from the edit option.

Edited by vt-Rich, 19 August 2005 - 04:26 PM.

Gargoyle357

Gargoyle357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

OMG I am having the exact same problem, even stuck on 7/27 virus defs.
Can't apply patches or updates and can't go to windowsupdate. IE just freezes, although task manager says it is still running even after 15 minutes.  SAV says autoprotect is disabled. This is my mail server. It's still running ok but I know something is going on in the background that I can't find. I was able to apply the zobot patch (ms kb899588) by downloading it first and then booting up in safe mode and applying it. I've reinstalled IE6 and tried to reapply sp4 but it gets to "inspecting configuration" and freezes.

OK guys and girls, something is going on here. I need help please, I'm stumped on this one.

View Post

You actually got off kind of easy. On many of my effected machines I had to boot into recovery console and stop the service before I was able to upgrade. Even Safe Mode was messed up.

APC does have this posted on their site now.
Most people have probably fixed it by now, or FDISKed there machine's by now though.
Critical Update Requiered for PowerChute

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
indeed....hence the need to keep everything updated

Luap

Luap

• Pip
  • 4 posts

View Post

I suppose someone had to say it :tazz:

Gargoyle357

Gargoyle357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

View Post

Easy to say.

Tough to do.

100 computers and a staff of 1.
You try it. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Easy to say.

Tough to do.

100 computers and a staff of 1.
You try it. 

9 servers 125 machines 25 of which use full blown japanese windows (soooo much fun to set up) 15 with the japanese mui and the rest with complete and total idiots sitting dirrectly in front of them

Gargoyle357

Gargoyle357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
YIKES! :tazz: And here I thought my job sucked.

So how do you manage to keep on top of all the updates for everything?

Sad part is I had the APC software set to automatically check for updates. Never bothered to check and see if it actually did it though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...the apc software was probably checking for auto updates...but that particular version update wasn't pushed out as an auto update because it was a giant java issue....alot of my software just autoupdates...i have a wsus for windows stuff...then the rest of it i just try to keep track of