Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing new hard disk

• Please log in to reply

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi i recently got a new hard drive to store DV footage on, i managed to connect it without any problems, the computer even said it was aware of the the new hardware, but when i went to my computer there was no new hard disk icon, but when right cliked on my original hard disk icon went to properties and cliked on the hardware tab the new hard disk was there and windows said it was working fine, so does anyone now what the problem is, i would be grateful for any help because i just filmed a wedding on friday and really need to get the footage on the PC so i can start editing, thanks

stuart

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you partition and format the new drive? If not, try using the installation CD that came with it, or reply for additional help. <_<

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi i don't know how to partion the drive and it came with no software.

stuart

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
did you set the jumpers on the hard drives one needs to be set to master and the other needs to be set to slave? where your running xp unplug all cables and power to the new hard drive and reboot windows this will unstall the new drive in windows xp only the make sure jumpers are set right rehook up new drive and see if it shows up right for you you'll most likely need to fdisk and format new drive.
<_<

Edited by tazz1964, 08 March 2004 - 05:20 AM.

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yes and and it is the correct ribbon cable, i even tried swithching the connections around but when i did that windows would even open

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
what brands are the two hard driver I know some times with some hard drives you need to add a jumper I had to add one to my sons seagate because they where not both ata harddrivers.
<_<

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
the original is a maxtor and the new hard drive is a western digital

am aware that the slave connection had to go to the new hard drive and the master to the original, how do you set hee jumpers?i thought the connection at the end of the ribbon cable was always the slave? i do have windows xp and are supposed to select which is slave and master in windows?

Edited by stuartie_b, 08 March 2004 - 05:43 AM.

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi I was trying to get the drive working and have discovered someone that might help you help me. i went to my computer right clicked on the c drive (the old hard disk) went to the hardware tab, double clicked on the new hard disk, clicked on the volumes tab and clicked populate. up came info on the disk, but most interestingly of all it said it hadn't been initialised. could please tell me how i initialise it.
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The jumpers are not automatically set by Windows XP. If your system supports cable select, the drive at the end of the cable is automatically the master, and the other the slave. When in doubt it best to manually configure them. If they're on the same cable, set the end drive to master, and the center connector to slave.

Maxtor Jumpers Settings:
http://www.maxtor.co...gs/style_a1.htm

Western Digital Jumper Settings:
http://support.wdc.c...ral/jumpers.asp

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi i set the jumpers acording to the information on the maxtor and western digital websites. the jumpers on both hard drives were both set to cable select and now the orignal disk is master and the new one is slave, however now that i've done that i haven't noticeed anything different and the new disk still hasn't appeared in my computer. is there anything else i should have done before swithching the PC back on, or do i ahve to do anything in windows now?

Edited by stuartie_b, 09 March 2004 - 11:19 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Click Here to download Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools. Install and follow the onscreen instructions. <_<

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi i used the software you gave me and the hard disk is installed and working fine, cheers!

stuart

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Congratulations! <_< Enjoy your new hard drive.