Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unexplained Crashes after Boot with W2K

• Please log in to reply

misterpatrick

misterpatrick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all,

I am running Windows 2000 with the latest service packs. I just started having this problem and am not sure how I can fix it. This is what happens. I start up the machine. I log into Windows and the computer restarts. Or, I log in and work for a few minutes and Windows restarts. I log into Safe Mode or Safe with Networking and the same thing happens.

Sometimes it take up to five minutes for the crash to occur, other times it happens immediately. I haven't installed anything new and I have a firewall installed and managed to run a spyware search and don't seem to have any malware running. The process lost also looks clean though I haven't seen it when it crashes or is about to crash. I think I'll try and stare at it for awhile and see if I can see anything.

So it seems like something must be installed that is doing something and crashing when it starts.
I do have Konfabulator installed and I am having trouble quitting that. It is trying to launch iTunes before it quits which has never caused problems in the past. I am also running Norton Personal Firewall and keep getting messages to renew my definitions which I have been ignoring for a week, but that seems like something that wouldn't cause a crash if it was trying to connect to the Symantec site.

So, I have no idea what might be causing this and no idea how I would figure out what's causing this. I am on my Mac OS X machine right now, so I can make CD's from this machine.

I am downloading UBCD4Windows24 right now. Don't know if that will help me but hopefully I'll be able to boot off the CD and at least delete offending files once/if I find them.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Patrick

Advertisements

Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Patrick,

goto DOS (START>RUN>CMD) & enter msconfig at the open box, disable all startup files and reboot. If no prob, you are looking at a startup program issue. If problem continues, selectively (e.g., a/v, firewall, etc) restore your previously disabled startup files.

Do a thorough scan using your a/v and a/spyware pgms. If applicable, goto http://housecall.trendmicro.com & do the same.

Report back with your findings...

Good Luck,

P2E

Hello all,

I am running Windows 2000 with the latest service packs. I just started having this problem and am not sure how I can fix it. This is what happens. I start up the machine. I log into Windows and the computer restarts. Or, I log in and work for a few minutes and Windows restarts. I log into Safe Mode or Safe with Networking and the same thing happens.

-Patrick

View Post

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also if you can get us the info from event viewer. look for anything with a yellow ! or a red X

misterpatrick

misterpatrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all,

we'll I can boot up in Safe with Command Line and then boot Explorer and look at the Event Viewer. It seems to be one of my disks that is no longe working. I am also getting the error that the secondary IDE is missing a connector. Is there anything out there to fix this or can anyone recommend (preferably free) a good disk repair app that I can run from Safe Mode? Let's hope this is it. Thanks!

misterpatrick

misterpatrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK,

I've figured it out but some help fixing the problem would be appreciated. My K: disk contains all my MP3's. Hundred's of CD's from my collection. 120GB full. Something is wrong with this disk. I don't know what. I really want it to work again. This is why it was crashing. I have Konfabulator with the small iTunes controller widget. After I booted up, Konfabulator would launch and then automaticallly launch iTunes which of course accessed the K: drive and cause a crash. Opening Windows Explorer did the same thing - accessed K: and bang.

As I mentioned in the previous mail I am getting that secondary IDE warning. So what can I do to run disk repair on this disk? Right now I just have the power to the drive pulled. Thanks!

-Patrick