Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yesterday my Dell popped up with a warning message saying the disk monitoring system detected that Drive O on the Primary EIDE controller is operating outside of Normal Specifications. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. :tazz:

1. Did I do something to cause this (i.e. deleting NAV items from registry, etc)?

2. What data do I need to backup besides my personal pictures and documents?

Thank you,

zin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Back up anything you do not have the software CD's for, everything else you can load onto the new drive.

After making the back ups

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files

Get tune up trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot.

After the reboot run Windows disk defragmenter

Click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

It will take an hour to get to the desktop as it checks and repairs errors on the drive.

Keep the backups but see how it runs

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
So you're saying the steps you mention might make it possible not to have to replace the drive for now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's worth seeing how Check Disk deals with the drive, though it takes an hour, if it does manage to repair the drive, which it will unless there is something major, you could save yourself time and money

zinfandoll

zinfandoll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay I will try that.

I think I have everything backed up that I'm aware of I need to but was wondering...

1. Do I need to back up anything pertaining to my CD/DVD drive or my CD-RW drive? Are they self-contained or should there be a disk for them? Do I need to save their drivers?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows will load drivers for those drives, there will also be firmware updates and any other software needed available from the manufacturers site.

Hopefully check disk will repair the errors

The other steps will also help