Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heat or not?

• Please log in to reply

Siten0308

Siten0308

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey guys i need help,

when my computer is on, it will restart out of nowhere. i think it has something to do with the heat of the computer, i have 3 fans, but for some reason does not cool down or keep it cool. another thing i come to thing of, could there be a virus on my bios or computer, it has not picked up anything. here are the specs below:
Windows XP home
350 watt
MSI socket 478 P4 cpu 3.06
1 gb ram 3200
120GB hard drive space
ATI radeon 9600

can you please help, also what CPU frequency should i put? i have it at default, but what do you recommend?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well start by giving us some temps to work with and if its cooling you want what hsf and what size of fans in what locations are you using.

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey again,

Right now i have 2 back( one lower and the other on top) fans 80mm and also a side fan also 80mm. when i looked at the temps in the bios, i found the CPU was like 40 degrees and the computer itself was 60degrees!!! so i went into temp tolerance and put it at 20 highest and 10 at the lowest... but i dont think that did much. so what can i do to make it more cooler, i was thinking maybe the back of the tower could be blocking the air of the fans, is there a way to make the cpu fan go faster? thanks for your time and answers.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well the computer temp. (i think u mean motherboard) is higher then cpu. i normally see the cpu higher then the motherboard. the cpu temp. is alright. but the motherboard temp. is a little high.

also, it could be ur psu.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you touch the case is it very very hot? If not then you have a broken thermometor on the mobo, it happens they are prone to breaking. It does sound like overheat or PSU failure. Since it is MSI you will be able to download the msi system moniteriong software corecell or pc alert 4 it should give you a warning of a cpu overheat before a crash the cpu should idealy be under 60 under high load, like a game or 3d modeling software or heavy benchmarking. Try another psu if you can.

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey guys,

i do apologize, it was the cpu that is 58 today and the computer is 39. i got it backwards. however what is the website where i can download that software for the MSI monitoring. also, i just purchased i cpu and put it on, however since it is 58, its not really doing its job is it? talk to you later, and thanks again

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The msi homepage somewhere it came with my mobo if you have msi live update you can get it from that. 58 now that is way too high, was this the temp from bios. Definately get some srctice silver and reapply the thermal material if it still wont come down a bit then you will need to buy a new hsf, thermalright make the best and vapochill just came out with a new range that looks good.

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hsf?? sorry but i am stupid, are you talking about that material that you put on the CPU (told ya i was stupid). but i thank you for your help. any other tips that could be the problem? thanks again.

Steve

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
hsf = heatsink and fan. thermal material is what you put in between in either grease or pad form. Well if thats is your idle temp at 58 you have a big problem. Is this pc bought or built and if it is still under warranty you may as well send it back for a new one. Otherwise you are going to have to get your hands dirty and fit a new hsf and probably another system fan for good measure.

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey thanks again for your assistance, i will do what you suggested, hopefully this will come out positive. One last thing... every time i turn on the power, it takes some time to get to the bios, and POST, could that be due to the floppy maybe or a bad CD drive?
thanks for your assistance again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What does it just sit there blank loading up. Try reseting the cmos maybe you have something set up unuasually but i honestly cant think why it takes that long other than the cpu is so hot the cpu is throttled back from the go.

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey, ya it sits there, however i can here something like a flopp drive trying to read something, or i think it could be the CD drive, however after maybe a couple of times of hearing like something is trying to read or find a drive, then it finally boots up into bios. if i give you the motherboard detail like the model and manufacture will that help narrow the issue? thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well just take unplug them that will tell you if they are the thing that is slowing it up. If it is then check your boot priorities although it shouldnt be accesing the drives before it posts.

TheShadow_FL

TheShadow_FL

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
P4's gobble power like a Goose on a Junebug. ;)

If someone gave me that system, the first thing I'd do is loose that 350w PSU.
It's probably running at max current just trying to feed your harware.

I'd opt for at least a 450 (or better) with dual fans.

Just a thought (from an old tech)
Shadow :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think the PSU is causing the boot problem though especially as you dont have a overly power hungry gfx card.