Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get second SATA drive working

• Please log in to reply

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all, this is my first post, I will probably be posting lots though, hehehe...
Here is my problem, and I would my very thankful for any help.
I just got a 200 GB drive to use as a backup disk, its a maxtor DM plus 10...after i set it up with fast track when computer is booting, i can see it fine in windows, AS LONG AS I have the other SATA drive unplugged. The OS is installed on the PATA drive, and I have to SATA connectors on the mobo, i dont know what to do... if i have both SATA plugged in, then i can see the 160 drive in computer management, but not the 200...now device manager sees all the drives, but cant have both SATA working right.
Whats wrong? What do I need to do? I've been working on it all day and it is driving me insane.
THANKS in advance...
-the ditchmagnet

Edited by ditchmagnet, 03 August 2005 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok, i have tried looking for more things to try, but can find anything. i tried going into the the promise RAID BIOS and i removed the arrays, so that no array is defined, back into windows and there are no SATA drives even in device manager, so i guess ill go back and define them again, but i still need HELP....i have onboard, so im thinking do i need to get a SATA PCI card to get both to be recognized?
PLEASE someone help me...
thanks

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK! LOL...after going back and setting up the arrays again, windows now sees both drives, no problems! LOL, well, im very happy now, somtimes i just need somone to go through it with, LOL, thanks to you all, hehehe
-the ditchmagnet

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Are you setting up a Raid Array or just two seperate drives?

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
two seperate drives, the new SATA is for backup, its all good now though