Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VeryLince trojan infection [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Luvly1

Luvly1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help. My laptop was recently infected with the VeryLince trojan. I am running McAfee and use AOL to log on to the internet. McAfee has notified me that this trojan has infected my system but it cannot be removed. According to McAfee's web site, I should have disabled the system restore feature before restarting the computer which I did, but all that does is remove the back-up copy of the worm, right?

I've noticed that other users have written for assistance with removing this trojan, but I am not sure how find the files which many of them have posted for you to rectify the problem.

Any assistance would be IMMENSELY appreciated.[/COLOR]

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Please read this topic and follow the steps outlined there. Post the HijackThis log here when ready. I also want you to run the online Panda scan. Post that log here as well.

Luvly1

Luvly1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello greyknight:

I wanted to update you on what I have done so far and ask if you think that I need to do anything further...

As I mentioned in my original e-mail, McAfee alerted me to the fact that my computer was infected by the VeryLince trojan. But the program also made me aware that it could not remove or quarantine VeryLince. I never turned off the machine or restarted it after learning it was infected after visiting a website, I went straight to McAfee's web site and learned that I should disable the system restore point feature and if the worm lay dormant in that file, that when I would restart it would be removed.

I then contacted Geekstogo and followed some of the suggestions that you listed on the reply. For example,
I installed Adware and ran a full system scan (and removed any suspicious files)
I installed Spybot and ran a full system scan (and removed any suspicious files)
I installed TrojanHunter and it found nothing suspicious.
Then I installed any critical updates to Windows.

Can I safely assume that VeryLince is gone since none of the steps taken thus far has found it on my system?

I don't feel safe using my laptop on the internet for confidential matters, can you suggest whether a firewall or some other type of program would be good to block out hackers and such?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Can you give me your HijackThis log? I want to take a look at that to make sure you don't have other bad infections there.

Also, give Panda Active Scan a run and give me that log as well. Panda is usually very good at catching some of these. Is VeryLince still detected though? If not, I would say it's probably gone. But I want to see your HijackThis and Panda log just to verify that nothing else bad is there.

Sure. I recommend using zonealarm as your firewall. There's a free version available (look for the free download link - they try to hide it :tazz: ).

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.