Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Completely New Install

• Please log in to reply

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey...My computer is so messed up right now that I cant run any new programs or anything like that...I'm fed up and I need my computer to compose my music. I tried using the recovery feature but everytime i do so, the computer tells me it was unable to restore...So I decided to do a completely new install of windows xp...However, I dont have my installation cd..I have the product key, i just dont have the cd...What can i do? Can i purchase one cheap? Can I just use someone else's and run it using my own product key??? Is there any way I can do a new install WITHOUT it???

Much appreciation, people...

Advertisements

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
You definately need some kind of media to get the software from...I'm not sure about being able to download the software, I think that violates software agreements....oh did you build your machine or is it like a Dell, hp, or something? If so you may be able to order the disc from them, and I know for sure that if you're under warranty with dell, theyll send you the cd's....good luck

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Well you can't do an install without one, but if you have a genuine product key you can use a BORROWED full installation cd (not a recovery disc.) to reinstall using your product key, but don't forget to reinstall your antivirus, update it, install your firewall and then upgrade to SP2.

Edited by usetobe, 03 August 2005 - 02:50 PM.

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
awesome, guys...Thanx...yeah Im using a compaq laptop....i think i'll call them up and see if i can get a replacement...

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok...nvm...I DONT have my product key....seems i was looking at the wrong number...How can I retrieve the key??? Here's the problem...I CANT use the "Run" feature on the Start Menu, so I cant get it through the registry...(Or so I think...) I CANT run most exe files (such as Notepad, and various anti-malware programs I have) so anything displayed there wont show...I dont have access to my cd-rom or data disks....im surprised my internet explorer is working...So how can i retrieve the info??? Even going to the Control Panel and clicking System doesnt work...I get the popup but there's no tab displaying my system information...its missing...Getting a spare copy of the windows installation cd shouldnt be a problem for me...I just need my cd key

Edited by thepsilocybevibe, 03 August 2005 - 04:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi thepsilocybevibe...Welcome to G2G!

Try this to recover your key code...hopefully you can download and run it,

http://www.nirsoft.n...key_viewer.html

wannabe1

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I cant download and run applications.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
thepsilocybevibe.....

ok...Can you run the search function from the start menu? If you can, run a search for $WINNT$.INF ...when it's found, right click on the file and choose open. It should open in notepad and will contain your setup information including your product key...Providing you installed with Unattended Install enabled.

If you can't run the search, you'll have to navigate to it in explorer...make sure your folder options are set to show hidden files and folders and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\$WINNT$.INF and open it.

OR

Click Start > Run and type regedit click OK ... Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CURRENTVERSION
Click on the CurrentVersion key in the left pane of regedit, and in the right pane scroll until you find the value of ProductKey . This is your CD Key (not to be confused with ProductId which is the number Microsoft assigned to you when you registered Windows. This is for Retail Versions). If this is an OEM version, the key will have OEM in it and MAY be called ProductId rather than ProductKey. Write down both values if you are unsure!

These may or may not contain your product key. On one of my machines it shows, on another it doesn't...wish you luck.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 August 2005 - 08:35 PM.

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I had mentioned my Notepad doesnt work, or my Run function...My start menu doesnt show anything because whatever malware is one my computer, it wiped it clean...I was on here goin through the steps recommended to me before i try posting a Hijack log...Once i tried using CleanUp, it erased a bunch of stuff my computer needed to work right and it messed up the computer further...I was just followin recommendations.....So yeah...I gotta reinstall windows cause i cant do much of anything...No "Run" no notepad, no nuthin...Pretty much the only thing that works is Internet Explorer, if it decides to work at all...So yeah...Any way i can get my Key other than that????

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

In a nutshell.. probably not.. If you can't run any programs, then that rules out magicjellybean.. and, XP encrypts the key code in Registry so you won't even find it there..

Looks like you get to purchase a new license!!

Murray

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry thepsilocybevibe...that about emptied my bag of tricks...

You can contact Microsoft and explain to them what happened or buy a new license...sorry I couln't be of more assistance. :tazz:

wannabe1