Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Default setting for my homepage has been changed

• Please log in to reply

Computer novice

Computer novice

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, this is my first post and I'm very happy to be here so thanks first of all.

I have been having this problem for a little time now and I haven't been able to find anyone who can help me so far. I have tried soo many things but I don't want to give up because it would appear to be such a small problem I am sure it can be solved somehow. My problem is this:

I have Internet explorer 6.0 and my system is XP Home Edition. By clicking on Tools then Internet options the relevant window opens. However in the general tab when I click Use Default in the home page section of the window, the address that appears is not the default page and never has been instead it is an address to a strange Website. Although I set other pages as default, if I click on the use default button it reverts back to the URL for the strange web site. This hasn't always happened so I'm pretty sure it can be solved, so I would be very grateful for any help or advice you can give me.

Many thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
have you used antivirus, antispyware or anything like that on your machine, you may have some kind virus or program that keeps changing your homepage to something else....I would run those utilities and go on from there.

Computer novice

Computer novice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, thanks soo much for your response. I have used the following so far:
Stinger
ASWCHR
CW Shredder
Adaware-SE personal

Can you recomend anything free, easy to use and that works lol, I'm not a complete novice but this stuff can become tricky.

Thanks for your help and your patience
:tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forumand follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Computer novice

Computer novice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you soo much :tazz: