Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frames Per Second (FPS)

• Please log in to reply

mikeyb31

mikeyb31

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi peeps, I am new to gamin on the PC and just wondered if anyone cud help out on getin higher FPS. I am geting a computer of a freind which has a faster CPU and more RAM. I plan on putting my graphics card from my existin PC into the new 1, i know FPS is mainly down to the graphics card but will the faster CPU and RAM increase the FPS??? also cud u explain wat other things effect the FPS other than graphics settings????? many thanks Mike. :tazz:

Advertisements

mycompsux

mycompsux

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Yes, the CPU and RAM will have effects on performance. Having processes run in the background especially firewalls and anti-virus programs will seriously hinder performance. Which graphics card do you have?

Edited by mycompsux, 03 August 2005 - 04:19 PM.

mikeyb31

mikeyb31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi M8 thanks for ur reply. At the moment i have a Nvidia GeforceFX 5200 256 mb graphics card. Its currently in a pentium 3 800 mhz 384 mb RAM lmao ;) (very old) which averages on my favoutire FPS COD about 40 FPS, so when i put this card into the new (ish) lol one amd1600 512 mb RAM will i notice increased frame rates? :tazz: I know im kinda of asking the same qu again, but i just want to get a clear understanding. Many Thanks Mike. :)

Kedzie

Kedzie

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Also little settings while playing help FPS. If you drop qualities of ingame graphics your FPS increases and smooths out especially if the game was choppy. So the graphics that you know that don't matter much, drop them to Low settings instead of high. I'm sure a new processor wouldn't hurt either bro :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah a faster cpu wouldnt hurt the gfx card isnt that good either.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
answer is yes, moving to a faster processor would improve your fps. I would say 20-30% improvment depending on your ingame settings.

for a good artilcle on how processor scaling affects video performance:
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=1650

mikeyb31

mikeyb31

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Awww thanks for all ur replies, espec starjax :tazz: thats exactly wat i wanted to know. Many Thanks Mike ;)