Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG and ME problem

• Please log in to reply

Big Lou

Big Lou

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

A couple of days ago, I downloaded Grisoft's Anti-Virus Guard free edition program from cnet.com. No problems installing or running it. But when I first downloaded an update, AVG requested a re-boot to install the update. On the re-boot, my computer froze at the start-up screen, and now I can't get past this frozen screen.

I have tried:

1) Turning off power to the computer, then re-starting, but it won't go past the frozen start-up screen.

2) Starting the comuter in the Safe Mode (by holding down "Ctrl"), but again it won't go past the start-up screen, so I can't even make it to the Safe Mode screen.

3) Starting the computer with a floppy start-up rescue disk. The disk says to type a "/restore" command (there's a word before "/restore", I used it, but I forget it now), but whenever I do that, I get a bad command message. I've tried it with A:, C:, and D:.

Any help would REALLY by appreciated!
Thanks,
Lou

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I can't give an specific help on this but ME isn't very friendly to progams that use ms-dos to run or install.

Big Lou

Big Lou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
First of all, thanks for the reply.

FYI, my computer has evidently fixed itself.

When I turned on my computer this morning, I got a DOS-like screen with one column of "1%"'s (yep, a "1", then a "%" sign, repeated straight down, over and over again.) At the bottom, it said something like "hit any key to continue".

When I hit a key (and holding my breath!), the Windows start-up screen appeared, and everything booted normally. No problems at all.

You'd better believe the first thing that I did was delete Anti-Virus Guard!

Again, thanks for the help.

Lou

Big Lou

Big Lou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no message - sorry, I hit the Post button twice.

Edited by Big Lou, 04 August 2005 - 03:16 PM.

bigstevie

bigstevie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too have had this problem. I was able to uninstall AVG while in safe mode and my computer now boots but does so extremely slowly. The ME screen comes up and then disappears for 75 seconds before the machine continues to boot.

Any suggestions for fixing this?