Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Win98se and XP

• Please log in to reply

Fidelio

Fidelio

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello all. I'm trying to network two PCs, one in my kitchen running Win98se, and the other in my Studio running XP, SP2. The kitchen PC is connected to the internet via a USB cable modem, and the Studio PC was standalone.

I put a Belkin 802.11g wireless PCI card in the kitchen PC and plugged a Belkin 802.11g USB adapter into the XP machine in the Studio after installing the Belkin software. I set this up following the instructions as an ad hoc network.

On the win98 PC, I can see the network, and I can copy files to the shared folder on the xp machine. But on the XP machine, 'my network places' shows only the Studio PC.

I'd like to be able to browse the shared folder on my win98 PC, but I can't find the PC at all from the XP PC.

Finally, and this is presumably related, I've set up ICS on the win98 PC as I wanted to be able to access the internet from the XP machine, but I can't work out how to configure this.

Many thanks in advance if you can help.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
1. make sure you enable shariing on w98, check this page for more details.

troubleshooting is not accessible errorNew: Troubleshooting Windows Server 2003 SP1 Issues, Cisco How to & Issues, ... Troubleshooting step by step:. A. Is a firewall blocking the LAN traffic? ...
http://www.howtonetw...ccessibale0.htm

2. This one fo rhow to setup ICS.
how to setup Windows ICSHow to Setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ... To setup a win9x (in our case) as ICS client to access the internet, you need to do two things. network ...
http://www.howtonetw...Windows/ics.htm

Edited by chicagotech, 04 August 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Fidelio

Fidelio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck. It doesn't work wthout firewalls or with them.

As far as ICS goes, I've set it up according to the instructions I found. When it's enabled, the Win98 pc works OK even though the XP machine can't connect. BUT after rebooting, not even the win98 PC0 with the cable modem connected can connect. I have to disable ICS and reboot to get internet again.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi Guys!

Fidelio, here is another document that may help:
http://www.microsoft..._02april08.mspx

You may also want to consider purchasing a standalone wireless router; it will certainly save you some time.

Be well, SD