Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV monitor is the way to go?

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
im looking for a bigger and better monitor and i notice that 26in lcd flat panel tvs are actually cheaper than regular monitors. plus id have the convenience of watching tv and using the computer all in one pla e.

i was wondering if i could use the tv as my sole primary monitor (connecting thru the vga). the one that i was looking at in particular did have a vga input on its rear panel. as well as svideo and dvi.

can i connect the tv straight to my computer and will it work? or is there some sort of catch.

please let me know if you know, because id hate to spend a handful of money only to find out that it wouldnt work.

Advertisements

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
now i am not one of the expieranced techies but i would try to have like another monitor u could use and get it all set up becuase i am tryin to use my TV as a secondary right now and things arent going good. It seems TVs have different refrest rates than ur average monitor but i dont know my advice i dont think is very valuable right now i am still learning. :tazz:

Lion

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
does that mean i cannot use a regular tv as my sole primary monitor?

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
i would wait until one of the more knowledgable members responds to u give it a day or two and they will

Lion

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You do not want to use a standard tv as your primary monitor. For one thing, everything will look blurry... and here's a good write up you can read.... http://www.montest.com/mon-app2.html

makai

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent very good occasional use for films and the odd game with fiends not as a primary the low res is a bummer on most tellies.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
thank you makai for the article link. its always interesting to learn new things. but the article leaves me to wonder, because ive seen several tvs that are marked as "pc compatible" and that contradicts what the article says

the particular tv monitor i had in mind is a viewsonic n3000w and its declared as pc compatible (at least it is on zipzoomfly.com)

all the tvs im looking to get are LCD. so is there a possibility that a new technology that allows tv to be monitors exist?
or after reading this article is it the other way around? monitors that look like tvs, that can function like tvs exist?

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=231780

thats the tv im looking at
thanks in advance for your guys help
Kalian

Twiguru

Twiguru

• Pip
  • 3 posts
TVs like the one your looking at are ideal. Ive tested a few instore are they are quite capable of running as a primary. Crystal clear picture often the option to window displays too if you expecting an email etc.

Regular tvs do tend to be a bit blury but the type your looking at you wont have a problem.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wait hang on you are talking about an LCD here, there is no way that a tv is cheaper than most monitors it doesnt work that way. A lcd tv is a monitor with a built in tv tuner more or less and are always more expensive. There is something dodgy when it is the otherway round.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
its listed as a lcd monitor but really its more of a hybrid that is adaptive to both sides of the monitor/tv spectrum.

im just wondering if it will work okay as a primary monitor. but if you're saying that its a "monitor" with a tv tuner than that means in general, LCD's will work as primary monitors?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well they usually are very cheap shoddy monitors usually you find they have a res of 1024x768 rather than the low end lvd monitor res standard of 1280x1024. A more expensive lcd monitor will have a reolution of 1600 by i think 1200. Also a proper lcd tv isnt a monitor its smaller monitor sized lcds that are like that cheap monitors with tv tuners, large lcd tvs have the wrong aspect ratio and you can use them but its not reccomended unless it is a media centre pc with windows media centre on it. At 26 inches they arent monitors because they have lowered the resolution and response time to make it cheaper at 26 inches most paople buying monitors like that are professionals that can afford the best panels you can get that would probably be why the ones you have found are cheaper in the tv form.

In short its best you have a monitor as a monitor and a television as your television get a good lcd monitor at 17 or 19 inches with a good response for your pc and then get a good flat screen crt television( crt televisions are better than lcd ones also bigger screens and cheaper).