Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

BenB864

BenB864

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have been reading up on lots of posts trying to find the best parts for the best deals. I have a computer now which I can use for monitor, HDD, CD-ROM, keyboard, ect.... Im looking build a computer that will play games like Half-Life 2, Guild Wars, and BF2. So far this is the list I have compiled...

Case - Antec Super LanBoy
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129145

PSU - Still have no idea

Mobo - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130484

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103533

Ram - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145440

Video Card - I want to keep the price low for now and if i want to spend more in the future I can, but i have seen the X800's work well or the 6800 nVidia cards....still debating

As I said I am new at this and plan on using the components in my other comp to fill up the missing parts. If this setup would not be enough, not be compatible, if im missing things, or if anyone has a suggestion, I would appriciate your help

Thanks a lot,

Ben

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For PSU something from one of the reputable suppliers with at lesat 450W x800 is good and i love the mobo. And the xms version of the ram actrually its not much more expensive but has better timings than the value and better ocin ability.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes, haha, i decieded on this mobo after reading some of your other posts and checking it out online. I will look into the xms ram, could anyone recomend a quality PSU at a nice price in the 450-500 watt range that has all the nessesary plugs...ie PCI-E or anything else....

Thanks for the help

Ben

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just so i know is this the ram you are talking about

http://secure.newegg...N82E16820145450

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats the stuff. Well the psu i have is good was quite cheap as well, but it is a UK brand a subsidary of coolermaster so im not sure if you get them in america. Antec make good PSUs so do ultra, thermaltake oh there is lots just dont guy a generic model.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok I have most of the components for my computer decided on, but one more thing. I would like to get a couple of opinions on Video Cards. I have read a lot about them and differences between nVidia and ATI, as i said im looking to play HL2, BF2, FarCry...if anyone has a card they know is great in the 300$ range it would help me a lot....

Ben

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like the x800s as they give good performance for their price although the price difference in america doesnt seem to be as big in america as it is here so you should probably try and get some extra money for a 6800GT the msi 6800GT gets good reviews.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
so you would say go for the 6800GT over the X800XL

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
I would go for the X800pro.

Stock for Stock the 6800GT is faster but when you start overclocking that X800pro...it will rape a 6800GT :tazz:

I have a X800pro and theres not a 6800ultra out there that can touch it ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the x800s are fast mines gives my pals 6800ultra a run for its money when ive got it overclocked. But the 6800GT has shadermodel 3 support and hdr which isnt always the best thing because its not actually powerful enough to run them properly but its nice to have them, it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want, i would go with a x800. Im keeping mine for maybe a couple of years then getting a new r500 or r600 core if they are out and a X2, i picked my system because i was on a budget but wanted it to play everything i could throw at it now and be easy to upgrade on a couple of years.

Advertisements

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I like that idea, but I dont know where to start when it comes to overclocking or how to go about it, I know there programs out there that allow you do it but i am comletely new to it. Is the X800XL better than the PRO version, i just wanna get a card that can play HL2 and BF2 on pretty high settings right out of the box....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x800xl is faster as it has 16 pipes and usually a faster core, it will do what you want straight out the box, rivatuner is really easy to use. You want get much more on the core because its allready pushed near to its limits when you get it but the ram will go alot faster. For a little more money i could have had a x850 pro(completely ran out of money and i probably could have scrounged some but i had never seen it before) so its worth looking into that it still went for less than a 6800GT and im assuming if you unlocked the pipes on the x850 pro it would be as good as a xt and thats basicaly the best there is.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok i think i am going to go with the X800XL, looks like a very similar system to yours, warriorscot, hope you dont mind. I have a quick question though....newegg has the ATI Radeon X800XL-Retail, and OEM, where retail is $320, and OEM is 295$.....

http://www.newegg.co...&SubCategory=48

I am still lost when it comes to what these mean...

By the way warriorscot how do you like your system, how does it handle HL2, if you have it and other games?

Finally, how do you test the FPS of say HL2, on my bros comp there is the stress test, is that the same thing?

Thanks

Ben

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
ones in stock the other isnt :tazz:

best overclocking proggie for any ATI card HERE!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i think that tells you the fps but you can do it in console ill go check that you can do that know for you actually. It plays HL2 all the settings maxed out on 1280x1024. Bf2 demo the same, dawn of war at max command and conquer generals at max pdsv6 at max in fact everything at max, still to try the fear demo not sure if i will get max in that but maybe if i ramp up the clockspeed.

But i love my system, the only bother it ever gives me is me doing stuff i shouldnt im just trying to undo something i did at the mo. but i need some dvd rws to back up my games music and vids. Think ill put on a new partition for xp and my program files, you should probably do that when you get your system going. Yeah so its great, its taken all my abuse and all my probs are software the hardware never misses a step, its rock solid even overclocks well when i can be bothered. Goes up to 2.5 without complaint and 2.8 with a bit of coaxing and tweaking.