Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WINDOWS XP TROUBLE

• Please log in to reply

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
:tazz:

i have had a HP pavilion 743n for the last 2 years i just recently swapped the entire motherboard out with a new one. windows xp home edition would not get past the initial log screen which showed for a split second and then i received a message stating the there has been a hardware/software change and it give me 5 options 1-safe mode 2-safe mode with command prompt 3-safe mode with networking 4-last know good windows configuration 5-start windows normally. none of those options worked.

hp doesn't come with a windows cd, it has a partition with a copy of factory setting on the hard drive. i have created recovery cd's with the software provided from HP. when i try to use the recovery cd i get a message stating that this recovery cd is not compatible with this hp model. What the....

how can i try to run a recovery of the partition? ;)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you use the same kind of motherboard? Same model?

The recovery partition is to bring the computer back to original factory specs... like the day you bought it. If you changed the motherboard type, the recovery will fail. Also, on a side note... if you are successful at recovery, be aware that all your data will be overwritten! The recovery partition will wipe all your data.

makai

Stasiek

Stasiek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
the hp had this motherboard initially (MS-6577 (Xenon 3) manufactured by MSI, i bought this (661FM2-LSR) manufactured by MSI.

i hope it can be done, i don't mind loosing the data (which can be reinstalled anyways), i don't want to pork out 200 bucks for a windows software package just because i have upgraded the hardware.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

i don't mind loosing the data (which can be reinstalled anyways)

The "data" I'm referring to are your personal files like word documents, photos, etc. Programs can be "reinstalled", but please understand we are talking about complete wipe out here! Your "data" will be gone if you do a recovery.

As for the recovery partition installing on your new motherboard, I doubt it can be done as everything pertains to the old motherboard.

What you might be able to do, and I recommend you try, is contacting HP for recovery discs. I have heard on this forum that there is currently a class action suite against HP for supplying computers with recovery partitions instead of recovery discs. Supposedly, HP will send discs to anyone who this applies to... which means you!

In fact, here's the website about the suite... http://www.computersettlement.com/ It even has a list of affected computers. A quick glance shows Pavilion 743's.

Of course, even with the disks, it still doesn't mean you'll be able to load up your new motherboard, but it's worth a try. I do know for sure (since I own a Thinkpad) that IBM recovery discs apply to many configurations of Thinkpad models... the same may go for HP.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

makai

Edited by makai, 04 August 2005 - 03:39 AM.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
thanks for the reply, the IT guy i spoke with said the same thing as far as running the recovery will not work.

you're right about the personal data, it sucks loosing it...i'll probably swipe to the old motherboard and back up the data and then swipe to the new one again and try to get windows back up...wish me luck

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good luck... and make sure you still contact HP!

makai

Stasiek

Stasiek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
good news, managed to get it all up :tazz:

i used my wifes xp cd to install on the hp so i can get by the [bleep] error screen, once i was able to start xp (xp was locked) i ran the full recovery off the partition. windows loaded fine, i did receive some error at first time startup of xp (code purple) once i got into windows all i needed to do was to activate it, no luck over the net so i tried the telephone...after a few fradulant attempts..bingo, got xp activated ;)

almost all software up to date, my audigy 2zs is even able to do a autoupdate via the creative website now :) (was unable to do before)

not bad for 5 days of trouble shooting :(

*note*
anyone know what error code purple means?