Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So many issues, not sure where to start

• Please log in to reply

barakbarak

barakbarak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 1998 Gateway GP6400 with a P2, 400MHz proc, 512K RAM, and 10G memory. While my laptop is in the shop for a dead screen, I've had to use this old desktop, and my efforts to speed it up seem to have wrecked it.

Somehow, my sound card stopped working (unrecognized), so I downloaded the updated driver at Gateway.com. As long as I was there, I also downloaded all other updates. Mistake! Now my PC won't start properly, scandisk won't run, I can't open my OE email messages or download new ones, IE can't read pages if OE is open, and memory is low even with no foreground programs running. System resources are at 68% upon startup. MSOE suggested I reinstall, so I did, but it had no effect. My Win98 CD never has the files the system needs, and I've run Norton WinDoc several times, but it finds no issues to fix. And the Sound card is stull unreciognized because even after I downloaded the needed drivers, the system wants me to insert a Creative Soundlabs CD that I never received.

I've been using ZoneAlarm. I have been pretty cautious about spyware and adware, so I doubt they're at fault.

Here are two of the many error messages I've seen in OE:

Ccapp: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. CCAPP caused an exception c0000006H in module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff856b9.

OBC caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff87eda

And here's one I saw while trying to download drivers at the gateway site:
VSMON caused an invalid oage fault in module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbflcd8.

The list goes on. Where do I stop the madness?

Many thanks,
Barak

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Is there any data on this old desktop you need? You may want to reformat, reinstall Windows and start fresh.

barakbarak

barakbarak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just shoot it in the head, huh? I'd love to. I've ordered xp and am planning to upgrade, but yes, I do have to rescue data and the system as it is now is falling apart so fast that I'm not sure how to export it. I'm trying to restore Win98, but it can't find drivers and files on my win98 cd. e.g., lpt.vxd and several others.

Any thoughts on how to find these files when I can't access the web? I have a Win98 disk and a Win98se disk, which I have not been using.

And if those files aren't available on the Win98 disk now, would I be able to reinstall all of Win98 from that CD?

Thx
Barak

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
See if this topic helps:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=479