Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making windows configure my wireless network

• Please log in to reply

options

options

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am running Microsoft Windows XP 2002 with Service pack 2:

5 or 6 months ago i got a laptop and wireless router, every time my laptop starts up, it automatically goes out and hooks to my network and everything is fine.

however; my desktop that i installed a wireless network card in is not doing that. Each time i start it i have to go into the advanced wireless connection box and check the button to tell windows to to configure my network setting. then it hooks right up. i have compared the properties on both computers, i cant see any difference in their set up

Any thoughts on how to make it automatically go and find my network? I thought maybe some sort of sharing conflict, but it does it even when my laptop is not hooked to the network

thanks if you can help
michael

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is Wireless Zero Configuration running at startup. It's a service.

Open Control panel, Administrative tools, Services. Double-click on Wireless Zero configuration and select startup type... Automatic.

Personally, I don't allow windows to control my wireless stuff... meaning my Wireless zero config is disabled. I much rather let my wireless adapter software control connections. For me it's just simpler.

makai